What's eating my rose leaves?

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Newbie gardener here, trying to figure out what is eating these spots into my leaves. I say "spots" because they aren't all holes. Many of them are spots in the leaves that have gotten tissue paper thin. A few weeks ago I say these tiny, oblong, lime green bugs on the under sides of the leaves. I haven't seen them in a few weeks though. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!!

Thumbnail by jaimelemon Thumbnail by jaimelemon
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Most likely newly hatched worms, and when they got bigger they moved on to other more tender leaves- I don't think rose leaves are too yummy!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

My 14 mature Knockout shrubs around our porch got attacked by sawfly larvae several weeks ago. By the time I realized it was a problem and got a systemic drench down, they had practically defoliated several of the bushes. Now I'm in a watch-and-wait pattern to see if I need to do a severe pruning, or if they'll re-leaf out.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks Terry! Would something like Sevin be a good candidate for a spray? I just got foliage back on these babies after a bad case of black spot. I really don't want to lose more leaves. :(

Sevin can be used, but it's toxic to bees, so don't spray it on the flowers.

Bayer makes a 3-in-1 drench that feeds and protects against fungus, pest and other diseases. I'd recommend finding it and following the label for application. I was planning to apply a bag of Beaty'sMagic Mills Mix rose food when mine got attacked, so my local landscape supply recommended a different systemic insecticide/fungicide to pour around the base of the plants (applying another fertilizer wouldn't have been warranted.)

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I found 3 green Japanese Beetles hanging out inside the flowers last night. Spray has been applied, we shall see.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 7:51 AM

The Japanese beetles are due for an appearance here, too. But I knew the holes in my leaves were caused by something else because they occurred so early in the season.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Could also be "rose slugs". They look much like a tiny green worm. The Bayer 3 in 1 should take care of them too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Or--Ear Wigs....They also chew on leaves,,,,,Hide under pots and boards--just like slugs...

When you pick up a pot or a brick or a bag of soil that has been on the ground for while--
they are under there. The slim. beetle-like bugs with curved pincers at their head.

I just step on them and squish them. NO mercy!!! Gita

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, the day after spraying, one rose's leaves turned brown and were beginning to curl. Now, a week later, it has 4 leaves left and they don't look so hot. I have not done any more spraying, but I am afraid I might have killed the poor guy. He is still blooming though. :(

Mine almost completely defoliated before the systemic drench and fertilizer kicked in. Now they are putting on a flush of new leaves and a few blooms. Water and time. The Japanese beetles have arrived - I need to take a bucket of soapy water out today to the perennial borders. Uck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.