ID this vine ?

Kailua Kona, HI

A friend gave me a cutting of this vine. It has heart-shaped leaves and flowers that open from pod-like structures to somewhat resemble a white and maroon-spotted orchid. It seems to like partial shade. She didn't know what it was either. It's happy growing along my wall in Kona.

Thumbnail by Konagirl
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

yes, it looks like aristolochia elegans although i can't see the leaves very well. are they heart-shaped? this is a host plant for polydamas swallowtail butterflies, pipevine swallowtails, and a few other swallowtails whose caterpillars feed on aristolochia. there are somewhere between 500 - 700 species of aristolochias so sometimes identifying the species can be difficult. by the way, the plant and seeds have a high toxicity content so don't eat the leaves, flowers, or seeds and it is best to wash your hands after handling the plant especially as in collecting seeds.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

whoops! i see you have mentioned heart-shaped leaves so it is probably an A. elegans although all the aristolochias i know have heart-shaped leaves.

Kailua Kona, HI

Thank you all; that is indeed what the plant is.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.