Rainy days and Mondays

Sumter, SC

What drought? 1" of rain yesterday and 2" more today. Radar indicates more on the way, and I couldn't be more pleased!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Just in the last 3 weeks I've had over 7 inches of rain! And it's raining right now! My yard is like a bog. The gingers are growing like crazy and are twice as high as they usually are this time of year! Maybe they'll be blooming earlier than usual!

Sumter, SC

It's such a time saver not to have to worry about watering. Just cut my grass yesterday - good thing because there's standing water in the low lying area of my property.
Looking forward to pics of your gingers!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I hope the bloody voles are drowning! Since my last post I've had another 2.5 inches! When I stepped out onto the lawn a few minutes ago to check the rain gauge I stepped on a vole trail and went up to my ankles!

Sumter, SC

Have you considered building an ark? I also had a mental picture of those destructive rodents drowning. They can create massive underground holes - hate them with a purple passion! I even noticed an active hole several months ago located within inches of lots of young castor bean plants!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

If this keeps up an ark may be needed! More rain expected today! I hope Ardesia is getting some of this!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

We've gotten a little over an inch since yesterday and, at least our part of NC, is now out of the drought.
It really does me time when it rains, considering I have about 40 pots and hanging baskets. ;)
My tropical hibiscus 'Love Story' bloomed today. I brought it inside to protect it from the weather. Pretty, ain't she??
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yum! Mine bloomed a little over a week ago. Add another 2.75 inches to the total for the last 24 hours .. this is ridiculous! It's suppose to be dry now through the weekend .. I hope so! My poor roses have been sitting in water since yesterday .. I hope they'll be ok .. I know they don't like wet feet!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was in Charleston yesterday and it was pouring almost the whole time we were there. Everything was flooded. Came home to not much at all. We have had about 3" this month at my house. I just heard about someone who lives about 3 miles from here who has had 13" since Sunday. These storms are funny, they seem to be narrow in diameter and can really drop a lot of water on specific areas and leave the rest of us high and dry. Either that or there is a big umbrella in the sky over my house. :-)

Gorgeous hibiscus.

Sumter, SC

I think there's a good chance of storms down your way this afternoon, ardesia. Hope they form over your gorgeous island.

Thanks, I hope so too. The other day there was a wide band heading right for us and I was so excited then the darn thing split right before it got here and rained all around us, I was watching it on wundermap. Aggghhhhhhh

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've seen that happen here from time to time .. unfortunately not this time .. percolation is so bad that roses are still sitting in water today! I'm told my subdivision was built on a swamp. I thought my greenhouse was leaking like a sieve but discovered the water was coming from the ground and that's why the floor was sopping wet - this is getting kinda scary!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Yep, the rain travels up the Cape Fear river, which is on the west side of our island, totally missing us most of the time.
We did get another 1" last night.;)
X - that is crazy! Sounds like our backyard after a hurricane.
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

We got nada - zip - zilch through the whole thing. Dang!
Entlile

Sumter, SC

Wish you better luck with the next system, Entlie.

I noticed a heavy fast moving storm in your area, ardesia. Hope every drop sank in for you.

LOL, not a drop. It was the funniest thing, I had to call my spouse to actually see it. There was a large and fast moving storm coming this way , the sky was dark and I could see it was raining across the river but it was dry here so I pulled up Wundermap to see what was going on and indeed the storm was all around and there was a little perfectly round circle in the middle of the storm where it was not raining and when I zoomed in it was right over where our house is. I think there is a way to take a screen shot to save something you see on the compute but I am ignorant about how to do that. I would have loved to have that picture for a show and tell though.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh me. For a screen shot you need a graphics program that can manipulate pictures. All you have to do is hit the PrtScrn/Sys Rq key. It's usually found in the top row of keys on the keyboard where the Fkeys are to the right. Once you hit that, go into your graphics program and do Ctr V. It will make a picture of your whole screen. When you save it you'll need to save it as a jpg .. usually graphics programs have files peculiar to that program.

Hmmm, I probably do have a graphics program somewhere on this machine. I'll have to play around and see what I can come up with. Right now I am dealing with learning how to use a new android phone - fun but frustrating!

X, Last week I had occasion to meet your friend that moved to Beaufort. Turns out we have a lot of old friends in common. Small world.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

That's terrific! If you look up the word eccentric in the dictionary it says "see jim & phyllis". I'm still trying to find someone to fix and maintain their computer. Did I tell you that phyllis is a retired landscape architect?

This message was edited Jun 16, 2012 6:27 AM

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

where is our rain? I think we are over the droght but we need rain.
Lavina

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well the roses look like they made it through the flood but the 4 O'Clock's, Dahlias and Hawkbeard aren't looking so good. Gingers, Elephant Ears, Confederate Rose and Franklin Tree think they are in heaven, never having such a surfeit of water before. I had also been augmenting the water gluttons with water from my A/C .. I used to have the drain shunted away from the house but decided to put a bucket underneath it. I was astonished to see was getting anywhere from 4 to 6 gallons a day of water! I had no idea the A/C was pulling that much moisture from the house. The buckets of water are being dumped on the water gluttons.

I can't believe this weather! When I got up this morning it was 65 degrees and opened up the house. Suppose to get to 61 tonight! Making it a lot easier to mow and get the garden in order for my parents and brother & sister in law who will be arriving tomorrow.

Here is what the gingers look like .. mid June and they are as tall as they normally are by August!

This message was edited Jun 16, 2012 2:15 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Sumter, SC

Everything looks great, MmeX!

I feel your pain, ardesia. Just a few weeks ago, my area was completely surrounded by heavy rain, and I didn't get enough to measure. Often storms somehow skip over my house and explode only a mile or 2 east of me. I find that looking up and screaming at the sky is therapeutic.-)

In that case, the next time you hear what might be thunder it will likely be just me bellowing. LOL

X, I hear 'ya. We did talk about garden design, I thought she had moved here from Davidson and when I overheard her say she came here from Summerville all the pieces clicked together. She is delightful.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They both are amazing people .. she's also is an accomplished pianist and started a Piano Quartet here in Summerville .. they had 2 count em 2 grand pianos in their living room - that was one of the problems about finding a suitable house in Beaufort - they had to have a room that would comfortably hold two grand pianos with decent acoustics. On top of that she's a very accomplished artist! She works in pastels ... I turned a lot of her paintings into note cards and cataloged her complete portfolio. Jim writes plays and within months of moving there was putting on productions of "80th Reunion". I typed up his manuscripts and put them into proper format (his handwriting is awful). They keep nagging me to come to Beaufort to fix the computer, photograph the latest artwork and type up more manuscripts. I do miss them but I drove to Beaufort once many years ago and that was enough!

LOL, most of 17 has been widened now and their neighborhood is one of the easiest to get to.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.