Plant id

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi, I got this plant for $0.99 4-5 years ago and have never found out what it is. I think it may be in the African Violet family, and yet haven't seen anything like it. the leaves are hairy, and roughly the length and width of a dollar bill. It blooms on a similar schedule with my African Violets. I had presumed that it would be a common plant as I got it in a dollar store, and yet I still haven't seen another one...

Thumbnail by allgr8dogs Thumbnail by allgr8dogs Thumbnail by allgr8dogs Thumbnail by allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

No, I have that plant. The leaves on this plant are wider (width of dollar bill), hairy (whole plant except flowers is hairy), the 'hair' is purplish while the leaves are green, doesn't do the creeping thing that Moses In the Cradle does, the growth is more upright. Thanks for the response, though :-)

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm with Lynn on this one in that it looks like something in the Commelinaceae family. The flowers look like they have three petals and the leaves look like they have a parallel nervature.

For some reason, I want to say Palisota or Dichorisandra but I'm anything but sure.

Yonkers, NY

Hi, I think your plant might be Siderasis, in the commelinaceae family.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Siderasis - that's what I was looking for. Thanks, Eucharis! This plant is commonly known as "Camel Plant" or "Brown Spider Plant".

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54965/

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Great job guys! At least I guessed the right family LOL.

Montgomery, AL

I am thoroughly impressed!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Me too! DGers come through again!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.