Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Phyllis Diller

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I wish they would all open but a few "nice reds"

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Ge1836 those are nice. Here are some of mine.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

This first one is the largest.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Look at the progression from hope to bloom. LOL!

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Mike,all of your poppies are beautiful.I have not been able to get the white ones to do anything.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Found this today
Black Poppy

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Looks a little light to be the black ones I had. Hoping I get some white ones this year. If I do I can send you some.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a trick of the camera. Reds show up when they arent needed and dont show up when they are. In early morning light it really looks black or at least darker than the image.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

poppies and other plants
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49784e5463344d44673d0d0a&blogview=true

Oh yes. I see it now. I have at least another week or longer for any poppies. Love your echinacia. Heck, love them all. What great gardens.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cant thank you enough for those Blacks and the lavenders.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

GE1836 that was a very nice slide show of your garden. thanks for taking us there.

JoAnn, I am just as pleased they worked out for you. If any colors didn't present, I hope to have fresh seed this fall for all that I sent. Glad to replace. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cant believe I will be whining and obsessing nest winter. Your plants are large and vigorous.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

lots of poppies,Why was I worried in Feb.
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a49784e7a4d304d6a413d0d0a&blogview=true

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Good question ! Why ? LOL!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Someone jerk me into sanity if I obsess next winter.

A nice shot of poppies

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just beautiful,so welcome at this time.

I thought these two together were awfully pretty. No real name. Just poppies that the bees create with their cross pollinating.

Thumbnail by Oberon46
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree they are wonderful. Poppies in any color are beautiful

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice, Oberon.

I have started harvesting some seed pods that appear to be ready to dry up. The others are still green so want to wait a bit before bringing them in to dry in the garage.

Norfolk, VA

Here is my shirley poppy (P. rhoeas) I've sown around october of last year and now it's nearly 2.5' in diameter! growth was manipulated by intense pruning. You can see the bud emerging from the middle in image 2.

Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan

I thought shirley poppies were annuals?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They are annuals.
I'm not sure what MGMan has. I have never heard of poppies needing pruning but there is always something new in the pipeline.
What ever your plant is,it sure is coming along great.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2013 5:32 PM

Norfolk, VA

This is a shirley poppy. I prune the side shoots so all the plants energy can go to the mother stem. I also mulch them with grass clippings and give them a lot of space so they can grow larger. the frequent pruning of this plant has rendered it enormous! I hopefully that helps.

The size may throw people off a little bit. Shirley poppies are very cold-hardy I've heard. This one tolerated temps. down to 24 degrees F with the help of the grass clipping mulch:-)

Norfolk, VA

What is the average spread of shirley poppies as they bloom, by the way? I do numorous, sophisticated experiments with plants, even cross-breeding and selecting members with desirable traits. I did not cross this one, this is a single plant I grown from a seed packet from a flower shop.

Sorry. Mine die out each year. Come back from seed spread. +24F is considered warm here for the winter.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I can see it now.
I google images when I want more than one pix of a plant.

Mine also reseed in Z6a .They die off.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

MGMAN, that one have a very wide spread. Looking forward to pics when it bloom this spring.

Norfolk, VA

Here the plant and flowers that overwintered

image 1 first bloom

image 2 second bloom

image 3 flower #2 compared to 4'' styrofoam cup!

Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan Thumbnail by MGMan
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW

Gorgeous. What kind of poppies are these? and name?

Norfolk, VA

They're shirley poppies, Papaver rhoeas!

Humnph. They sure look sturdier -- more robust than the Shirley poppies I had. I didn't like them because they flopped all over. The flowers were beautiful and I loved how delicately colored they were and the paper mache sort of tecture. Just couldn't keep them upright. And yours survived over the winter or resowed themselves?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mgman, Thanks for sharing that beauty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.