Can I grow Rainbow Eucaluptus In My Zone, 9a?

Dunnellon, FL(Zone 9a)

I hope I can, and if I have to protect it from the cold while it's young, I can do that. I have researched and can not find a good answer. We sometimes can reach 24F in the night, But does not go down farther most of the time. Any help is GREATLY thanked.
Thanks,
Dustin

Thumbnail by HL_Nursery777
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Dustin, and welcome!

I am sorry I don't know the answer to your question but those trees look exactly like the ones growing in a field on the Hana Highway here on Maui! They are spectacular when the sun is shining on the bark. I have never seen them growing on my side of the island, but have seen them in Haiku and wetter areas growing in people's gardens. I will look in my book to see if I can find the lowest temps they will take, but I bet someone who is more knowledgeable than I will be able to give you your answer.

Jenn

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

wow, that bark is spectacular. i suppose the answer to your question depends on what species you have, so i would first find the species and then check the stats. eucalyptus grows all over the place in san francisco, california and my guess is that san francisco is colder than your 9a zone.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

oh, it is called a rainbow eucalyptus

http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/

this site says people in the USA can grow it in central and southern coastal florida, southern texas and california. evidently it needs humidity. i'm not sure where dunnellon, fl is but if you've got humidity, i think you might be in luck although probably on the edge of the growing zone. one article says subtropical and tropical climates. i hope the tree does well, it is a stunner!

noonamah, Australia

Eucalyptus deglupta is one of only a few Eucalypts that aren't native to Australia. They come from the Philippines, Indonesia and New Guinea, They are pretty much a rainforest species so have high requirements for humidity and water, Some people claim to have grown it in climates below freezing point but you'd want to give it some shelter while it's still small.

Punta Gorda, FL

It grows down here in Miami. They have a few trees at Zoo Miami around the Koala area.

Dunnellon, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you guys, you all were a great help. Thanks!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

I believe www.eucalyptusdeglupta.com belongs to a long-time member of DG, and a wonderful person: LariAnn. Send your question by D-Mail in confidence and you'll get the best possible answer promptly. It's nice to know knowledgeable people and erudites.

Take care.
Sylvain.

Dunnellon, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you Sylvain! I will write LariAnn soon.

Happy Gardening!

Dustin

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i've seen this tree growing well in the Sebring area of florida but not farther north than that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.