A spot cleared for just one more hosta!

Ottawa, Canada

I couldn't resist 'Linda Sue', yet another unplanned purchase. This is her second year in this spot. She's a sport of 'Frances Williams'.

Thumbnail by irawon
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for sharing irawon, I love it! Had seen it a few times on websites but no picture does it as much justice as yours, great photo!! I want one now. :)

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Nice! It looks like a real good size for a new plant, too. I did the exact same thing this year- saw a huge Tokudama Aureonebulosa at a nursery that I could not resist. So I bought it and created a new mini bed for it.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I like the brighter margin it has along with the corrugation I assume it gets from Frances Williams. How does it do with dessication compared to FW? My mom is a Linda Sue, so I might add it someday.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Very nice indeed...I have the all yellow sport of Francis Williams.Got it years ago from Gunther Stark a local breeder.

Kyle :-)

Ottawa, Canada

LS gets morning sun, so I haven't seen any dessication burn yet. My take on 'Frances Williams' is that it needs lots of water to counteract sun and wind as well as root competition. The key to avoid dessication burn is water.

I have three, which I foolishly bought for a small space many years ago. The plants were small when I bought them and I hadn't researched their mature size. I created a new bed under some evergreens and moved them about three years ago. I moved one of them again to further shade because it was getting dessication burn. Last year no dessication but this year with the high temps we've been experiencing, I can't seem to get enough water to her.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2012 4:06 AM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

OK. Need to water mine. It's in a rather dry spot.

Ottawa, Canada

Noreaster, you are lucky to get a mature T. Aureonebulosa. Please post a picture when you get it planted. Mine is struggling to attain a respectable size.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Irawon, I know, I had to grab it. I know there is a chance it could be infected with HVX, since I've seen that at this particular nursery but I was willing to take that risk. If I ordered one from a reputable seller, it would take me five years to get to this size- there are probably a dozen eyes. I haven't planted it yet, really. I just moved it out of it's small pot into a larger one, as it was really rootbound in there. I'm still thinking about where I want it to go. I was thinking about digging out more Lily of the Valley in the front of my large bed and putting it on the opposite side from Tokudama F....sort of in front of Thunderbolt. So there would be a tokudama on each corner flanking the LOTV. But I'm not sure- what do you think?

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, Canada

Great looking TA, Noreaster. Placing it where suggested is a great idea. Actually, I did the same thing. I planted T. Flavocircinalis on the left and TA on the right in my oldest hosta bed. I moved TA to another bed and its still not very big. I would have taken the chance just like you but maybe you should try those Agda test strips. I've been thinking of doing that with 2 big hostas that I just got and didn't plant yet. I'll take a picture of my PUNY TA tomorrow.

Ottawa, Canada

Here's my TA which is underperforming because of shallow tree root competition, and the heat wave. I'm having trouble providing enough water because I'm also contending with cutworms among my hostas. The cutworms haven't found this guy yet.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Have you found any of those beasties though? They have been attacking mine too and so far I haven't nabbed any of the culprits.

Ottawa, Canada

Yes, I've scratched in the dirt around affected hostas and have found some. They're brown and difficult to find. I pay special attention near the most chewed on leaves. The other night I went out with a flashlight. I found one on the petiole and the other one was at the base of a leaf. I almost missed them because they looke so much like little twigs. I've researched them and apparently they don't like wet conditions. I read that they will come out of hiding on an overcast day if you water your plants deeply. I dislike them even more than slugs because they do more damage.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2012 5:16 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.