Roof choice- shingle or metal?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

If you had a choice, would you choose shingle or metal. We are putting a new roof on the garage. DH is leaning toward metal. What color would you choose- a gray or evergreen?

Which would be better for resale in the future? We need to make a decision by Monday.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Metal, metal, metal! LOL No more shoveling off the roof, last longer and increases the value of the house.
I have maroon on this house, will have dark green on the new one.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL don't hold back, pixie. I liked the look of the dark green.

I am asking because they are not common here, but I have always liked the look of them.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I figured on a log sided home, set in a bare spot surrounded by evergreens....dark green was my best choice. :) If I had a farm it would be RED! LOL

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I endorse the metal. A lot of metal roofs are going on around here. We just put a metal roof on a Masonic lodge I'm connected to. It looks nice and we had purlins put done right on the existing roof and then metal on that. I think the job came out a little cheaper than asphalt because we didn't have the labor expense of removing the old roof nor the disposal costs.
Around here some group of Amish are suppling metal for roofs that is cheaper and heavier weight than other sources. I don't know the details but could find out from our roofer.
We went with light blue. My understanding is that the darker colors don't hold up as well color wise as the lighter ones and that the reds are the worst. I know that holds true for vinyl siding.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Doug, would you mind checking? Hope it's not too much of a problem. DH was at Lowes and was asking about the shingles, then he saw that they do offer metal roofs from a company called Union Corrugating Co. It was comparable to shingles I think.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

It will be Wednesday before I see the people that were involved, but I'll check.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thank you. DH may have already made a decision by then, we'll see.

Thomaston, CT

I love the metal roofs.....wish I had one....

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I might be the only one that doesn't like the look of the metal, too shiny and bright.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

We're definitely going for the metal next time around. Our church just replaced its' shingled roof for metal (green) and boy does it look nice.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I knew I could count on you guys for great input. Love it!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Sorry I am chiming in late. I would choose metal over shingle every time if price weren't an issue.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Thanks, AYC. Really leaning toward the metal.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Does the metal come in different colors? What color roof does your house have? I would make sure they match

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

Metal comes in a large number of colors.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Lots of colors, Jen. The house has the standard grayish shingles. Garage is detached and huge. When we reroof the house we will go to the metal as well.

He has the shingles off and is working on getting the trim off. He found a bee hive this morning. Guess I should take some pics. Heehee

Do they have different finishes yet? I might like it if it wasn't shiny.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOL not sure. Totally understand about matte vs. Shiny.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes Deb they do, several are not shinny and made to look more realistic.
http://www.bestbuymetals.com/metal-roofing.html

Cool! Thanks Celeste!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Can metal roofs be put over multiple courses of regular shingles?

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

We put it over a single course with no problems. I'm going to say yes. Basically they nail purlins to the roof, I suppose you could screw them down for more wind resistance at the cost of more labor. The metal is then screwed to the purlins.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Doug. I'm curious about 2 layers of shingles?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I couldn't put metal over two layers here. Metal was $20k+ and my shingle roof taking off the three! layers that were on it was less than $5k.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

we're thinking of metal for our garage.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Raw materials wise, metal was only $300 more than the shingles we were looking at.

Jeff took everything off.

The sound of rain on metal is cool.

Not cool when you should go check to make sure your screws are tight every year after about 5 of having it on.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Good to know, Sherrie

If its not tight it leaks. I know.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You ate referring to the roof, right, Sherrie?? ^_^

Hail must be deafening! I like the look of metal. Copper!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Copper is lovely when it gets it's patina.

Thomaston, CT

Here in my town it would be stripped the 1st time I left ....or even if I didn't leave! Thieves stripped the copper from the a/c on top of our grocery....in sight of the PD....they've taken metal rails from the railroad tracks, metal from industrial sites all over town, pipes from vacant houses....and our town is small....population just over 7,000.....

Anywhere these days.

Thomaston, CT

Yep, pretty disgusting!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

geez

copper is heavy. I would not want it on my roof!

Not in thin sheets.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Back in the late 70's or early 80's a huge weathervane from atop the red barn on the farm where I lived that was owned by a wealthy woman was stolen. Now in this red barn was an apartment rented by a single cop from our town. She felt more secure having him live there. He was a detective. The other barn, in sight of the red one had recently had work done on it. So the detective started his work by focusing on the company that had done the repair work. Lo and behold he tracked the weathervane down in NEw England somewhere. It was a very NICE weathervane worth thousands of dollars. The vandals had done some damage to it though. I was impressed that he was able to find it.
A shame that so much thievery goes on.

Thomaston, CT

I remember ...the thieves were stealing valuable weathervanes here in NE, too.......my aunt had a chicken one she was worried about.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.