Some new flowers

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are a few new plants that are flowering:

Juanulloa aurantiaca-Gold finger--a woody vine-like growth
Dichrostachys cinerea-Princess Earrings--thorny tree to about 15'
Gmelina philippensis-Parrot's Beak-a large woody climber, can flower very heavily
Portlandia grandiflora-shrub/small tree to 6-10', beautiful flower and smell, heavy bloomer

Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1
noonamah, Australia

I particularly like the look of the Dichrostachys cinerea. Googling it though, turns out it's a terrible invasive. Such a pity some of these beautiful plants can't behave themselves, LOL. I'd like to get one of those Portlandia grandiflora but I've never noticed any around here.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Yea, I pull off the spent flowers/seed pods off the Dichrostachys to keep it from spreading, the Portlandia species are not easy to find here either.

David

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

How very pretty David, thanks for posting.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are a few others:

Dalechampia dioscoreifolia-Bow Tie Vine-Costa Rican Vine

Melicope elleryana-Pink Flowered Corkwood-Australian cauliflorous tree

Clerodendrum paniculatum-Yellow flowered variety

Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1 Thumbnail by popper1
noonamah, Australia

The second one I've always known as Euodia elleryana, however, seems it's become another victim of the name changers. I planted a small one a few months back in my garden. They're a very nice tree.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

One of the names I have seen for the tree is Pink Evodia, maybe Euodia was an older name.

David

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. I love the princess earrings

noonamah, Australia

Where I lived before there were lots growing naturally out in the bush. We just called them Euodias. Their scientific name then was Euodia elleryana. Don't know when the change came in. They grow out bush where I am now but you don't see so many (except at my place now :O))

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

Their was one nursery I gound that hand them; grafted because I guess they take years to bloom. They are beautiful for its 1st bloom.

David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.