Digging up & moving

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

That is my Mother's headstone behind the hosta I planted many years ago, I must do something with it now since I'll be in that area next week, any advice as the best approach to tame this some??? Thanks Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Not sure about the timing, but the usual method is to dig up* all or some portion of the plant and divide off some of the sections. I have never tried to divide any hostas in the summer, but your climate is cooler than mine, so it might be ok.

*Use a tined tool, not a spade.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

It's only okay if you provide lots of water in the days afterward, especially now when the weather is forecast to stay hot and dry. Otherwise, expect drying/dying leaves. Personally, I'd dig up the whole hosta and replace it with a smaller variety more suited to the space and that can take a little abuse, such as Golden Tiara.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you both for your replys, I'm leaving for Long Island tomorrow and my friend & I are going to tackle it on Tuesday, I'll let you know what happens.
Christine

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Just wanted to follow up and show you a picture, all of them went to the workers to re-plant.
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Where will they be replanted? I think Eleven's suggestion about a smaller variety is a good one. If you do replace the bigger one, find out if your smaller choice will spread - you might not want that.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know how you were traveling or how far but it is a shame you couldn't have bought them back home or given your friend half of them and you all replanted them at your own homes. That was a beautiful hosta and look how many large divisions it made.

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

I took one small section home with me & the rest were being re-planted around the cemetery. My small section has come out of shock and is now showing signs of new growth. Thanks Pippi, hosta's were one of my Mom's favorite plants.
Christine

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Having them planted all around the cemetery will be nice - you'll be able to remember your mom each time you see one. Glad you got to bring one home though.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.