Help me decide on a "higher end" sewing machine

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

My Pfaff 7530 is having computer problems and since there are 4 computers in the machine it could be pricey to start replacing them.

I have been looking at the Pfaff Expression 4.0 but the early reviews on it are not great. Apparently quality has suffered since Viking, Pfaff and Singer combined and the machines starting being made in China.

I have also looked at the Janome 7700 which looks nice, but the salesperson admitted she didn't know much about it.

I talked to another salesperson who told me he used to sell Pfaff but stopped because of the problems with machine performance. He said he could never just hand someone a boxed Pfaff and let them go home with it because they are unreliable.

He also said he could send a Janome home in the box and there is NEVER a problem.

I bought a Bernina 440QE 2 years ago because of the problems with the 7530. What a disappointment. No indicator when the bobbin thread is low. No wider arm. Of course, I knew that before I bought it, but with poor reviews on the Pfaff 4.0 I thought I could live with it. I couldn't. I just sold it for half of what it was worth.

Has anyone had experience with the two machines I mentioned?

This thread has 18 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!