Major Wheeler Honeysuckle Dying

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

My Major Wheeler leaves are curling up and dying. I cannot detect any insects on the plant.It started on the ends and now the whole plant seems to be dying. It is planted in a big plant on my deck in full sun. A small basil plant and a petunia is planted in the same pot and they are doing fine. I dug down in the dirt a bit and it doesn't seem overly wet. Any ideas what the problem could be? I'm so disappointed I thought this vine was disease resistant.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you post some pictures?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I have an Alabama Crimson that had aphid damage earlier in the Spring. I was really negligent in not noticing and washing them off soon enough. The plant suffered but I'm getting a few buds again now. I was thinking that the damage from the aphids would be momentary, that they suck nutrients from the plant and then are gone. Does anyone know if that is the case and that my fairly well established plant will be OK in the future as long as I do a better job of tending it?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never seen an established plant die because of aphids (although the exception to that would be that aphids can transmit viruses from one plant to another, and the virus could kill it...but chances are that probably didn't happen to yours). Some leaves may die if they got sucked on too much, but the plant should come back.

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

I plan on taking a picture and posting when I get home from work. Thanks!

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

Here are pictures of my Major Wheeler :(

Thumbnail by checkchick Thumbnail by checkchick Thumbnail by checkchick Thumbnail by checkchick Thumbnail by checkchick
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, I hate to see that. I'm curious to hear what the cause might be.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Is it possible that you have a gopher eating the roots? I just lost a rose bush that way.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Doesn't look like gopher damage to me--with them you have a perfectly healthy looking plant that all of a sudden starts wilting for no apparent reason, and then you go look at it and realize the gophers chewed the roots off. Here the spots on the leaves suggest some sort of fungus/disease, although I don't know what kind.

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

No animal damage. It's in a big pot on my deck. It's interesting that the basil and petunia in the same pot are doing great.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There fungal diseases that only affect certain types of plants, and since basil & petunias are in different families than honeysuckle it's very possible that there would be a disease that would affect it but not them. I'm not familiar enough with honeysuckle diseases to speculate on what it might be but hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are a couple of pics of my Alabama Crimson. It's a healthy plant except that some of the new foliage looks like it has issues. I would not be concerned except for seeing your Major Wheeler. It doesn't look to be the same problem though I don't know how your plant looked when it first began to decline. I hope not like this. Ecrane3, I'd appreciate your, or anyone else's, thoughts. Thanks.

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can you get a more focused close-up shot of the leaves? To me it doesn't look like it's the same problem though so might be worth starting a separate thread for it.

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine started with the new growth dying first. If I had it to do over again I'd chop it off! If progresses quickly.

Cary, NC(Zone 7b)

I replaced this vine with a different plant. When I removed it the roots looked fine so it had to have been a fungal disease. Too bad, I went back to the farmers market to purchase another but the man was no longer there and no one else had them. :(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.