Pine needle like leaves + acacia like seed pods = ?

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I feel sure it isn't a pine, but my efforts to find an acacia with leaves like this were fruitless.

I snapped this picture of a shrub-sized plant in a 5 gallon (unmarked) container, because the person working there didn't know what it was, either.

Thank you for all sources of pertinent info & pics!

Thumbnail by 2QandLearn
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

If not an Acacia, certainly related to that genus; as you guessed, not a pine!

Resin

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Acacia cognata has leaves like that, although the ones I've seen pictures of the leaves tend to droop/weep downwards not stand upright like these: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=acacia&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=cognata&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search But there are lots and lots of species of Acacia so there could easily be another one with leaves that look similar but a different growth habit.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The plant I am seeking the ID of has leaves shaped like needles ... evenly thin in all directions, except length
(practically round, but very long like a needle).

Whereas the pictures I saw through your link of A. cognata
show it to have long, thin, but *flat* leaves that are both thin & wider, as well as long.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2012 8:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.