Growing under Walnut Tree

Berkeley Springs, WV(Zone 6a)

Greetings All
Can anyone give me advice on shrubs to grow in the partial shade of a Walnut?? I am creating a garden room and wish to make walls of shrubs. The roots are far reaching and I know the jugalon can kill many plants.
I have planted 1 rose in the area because I read they are not affected and will make most of the sunny area walls from roses.
However I need ideas for the part shade area. I am not planting directly under the tree but find the roots 10 feet and further from the walnut.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!!
Green Blessings
Ayla

Madison, WI

if you Google "Juglans-safe shrubs", a bunch of sources of lists should come up; I'm dealing with the same factor, and it's said that even dropped twigs on the ground near-by can effect it there, or twigs from trees that were grafted to Black-walnut trees. But there are quite a few plants...trees, shrubs, annuals, perennials, that are ok.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, Black Walnut are known for clearing an area around themselves. How about things in pots?

Berkeley Springs, WV(Zone 6a)

Greetings prickersnall and gasrocks
Thank you both for your kind replys....I found quite an extensive list of shrubs vines and perennials...I think a combination of hard scaping some containers and shrubs will create the mystery I'm looking for....one day I'll post before and after pics...
Green Blessings
Ayla

somewhere, PA

I have a nice garden growing under & around my black walnuts. Smoke bush / cotinus, lilies and hosta mostly. A few heuchera & a variety of bulbs. There are some peonies near by as well.

Have fun!
Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.