something gnawing on my coleus and sunflower

Woburn, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi,

I put out some coleus, only to have it disappear. Fortunately I had backup seedlings to plant which were a little bigger than the original ones I put out. Now those have little holes in the leaves. I'm wondering if it could be slugs since it is so damp outside. Whatever is attacking my coleus also likes the sunflower plants I put out. Is there an organic way of discouraging whatever is eating them? I'm afraid it'd probably wash off because of all the rain.

Konnor

Mount Laurel, NJ

Slugs definetly do like the coleus and make holes in the leaves. Some people say a little dish of beer will attract and kill them. I havn't tried it tho.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I cannot answer about slug damage. Coleuslover, you are on the right track. The best way to get rid of the slugs is beer in an aluminum (disposable) pie plate where the angled sides work against them. You don't need more than 1/2 -3/4 of an inch of beer.

Konnor, our screwed up northeast winter/spring weather seems to have brought a plethora of hungry insects. I've done a pretty good job of spraying for the red lily beetle, They seem to be going after some of the other plants, so no I know I've got to be even more diligent about spraying.

I just posted on another thread one of the sprays I use, so I'll post the pix here also. Due to the essential oils, it does not wash off in the rain. And I buy it premixed even though the photos show the refill that needs to be mixed.

I always start off with coleus and heuchera plants in the full sun while it is cool outside. When the sun becomes so strong that it is burning the coleus, I move them to a more shaded spot. When I put them under a tree, I believe that the sap from the tree attracts insects that start to eat up the lovely foliage. I have learned that they must be moved to the side of the house where they get only morning sun, and they generally thrive there. Since we contain so many plants in pots or containers, it is a cinch to move them.

Marcia

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I know snails have stripped the leaves off of the ones I have next to walls and in shady areas. After wondering and wondering, I went out early one morning as the sun was coming up and saw them all leaving to go hide wherever snails hide during the day. Started squashing like crazy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.