Sambucus nigra Black Lace Elderberry

Fort Dodge, IA

Anyone have photos of this in the garden with other plants around it? Would also love to see it pruned into a more tree like form.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

You just gave me an idea.

Thumbnail by growin
(Zone 7a)

I was thinking about what to do with the pruning this year. That's something to think about.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

That's a nice specimen kwanjin. Crown-raising it would give a bit more room for the Peony & Corylus.

(Zone 7a)

I agree. When it's done blooming, I'll give it a trim.

Fort Dodge, IA

Thank you for the photos, will you post again when you trim it?

Do you think I could plant this next to my house or does it get to big and bushy? I would love it to look like a little tree, and read that you can do one like that, but I'm going to have to find one with a good main stem to begin with and so far the ones I have found here are very bushy like.

(Zone 7a)

I will certainly post pics when I'm done. I haven't been under there yet so I don't know how extensively I will be able to prune.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I'm a little slow replying, hope this is still helpful. This Sambucus has been in the ground about four years. I haven't pruned to any particular shape, just cut it back when it transgresses too far.

Thumbnail by granitegneiss
Fort Dodge, IA

Thank you for the photo. I have decided I am going to put this in this year, Now I'm debating between two spots in the garden. One a corner between the deck and the house as a foundation planting. The other the outside corner of the house, bringing it a little farther out and trimming it more like a little tree so I can still plant under it.

(Zone 7a)

Whichever place on which you decide, make sure you can see it from the house. You won't be sorry.

(Zone 7a)

I finally pruned the Elderberry.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Looking closer, I think I may trim that long branch on the left and shorten the one on the lower right.

Eastern Nevada, United States

That is beautiful Kwanjin, I have two of these and I cant wait for them to mature so that I can do something like this. How tall is yours in this photo?

(Zone 7a)

MIne is about 8' in that pic.

Thanks for sharing that link, Donna. Very pretty plant.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Your plant really is lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.