Dwarf Butterfly Bush?

Warrenton, VA

Hello, has anyone any experience with growing this shrub? I am considering having them on my land, but appreciate your advice as I have no experience with Butterfly bushes at all.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Buddleja 'Blue Chip' - couple comments on the plantfiles entry: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/174870/
http://diggingri.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/buddleia-blue-chip/ - there's mention that it is non-invasive which is, in my books, a good thing as they are rather invasive around here.

Amherst, MA

I have a white dwarf butterfly bush. It's in its third year in my garden in W. Mass. So far, no problems at all. It blooms rather daintily, but keeps a fairly compact shape without much pruning. Perhaps, 30" tall, at most. It does attract butterflies! Other than water and a balanced fertilizer, it has had no special care, including no winter protection. I can't say this plant packs much of a visual punch, but it is a nice filler. Sorry, but I do not know the name of cultivar.

Warrenton, VA

Went to the local Southern States, after looking around at the most elite nursery around here, today. Just am not ready to part with $20.00 x 2, plus potting mix...
So, Southern States has a 50% off bushes/trees sale going on right now! I wussed out of the Butterfly Bush idea, and got two very SAFE Soft Touch Hollies to replace the Coral Drift "carefree" roses.
I am ecstatic. Now, my REAL issue of being evergreen is addressed, I got a two lovely large bushes (2 1/2 gallon size approx.), for $17.99 (WOW!), and boy are they healthy!
So, onward! My $$$ Castle series hollies that stand behind the Coral Drift roses will still have their roots cooled, and I went with a safe choice! I know, not dramatic, but I made the right choice. Will venture into Butterfly Bush land next year probably, when I start feeling brave again. The experience with the "carefree" roses has taken the wind outta my sails...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.