June's Orchids and Weddings

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Tis time to begin our June thread. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255626/. Please post your June pretties here and join in the fun.

I'll start us off with a classic, Laelia tenebrosa. Note the double lip in the second pic.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bc. Mermaid 'Janice' is blooming for the first time, at least for me. I bought it about a year ago.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Keeping it in the Catt alliance, how about Blc. Paradise Jewel 'Flare'.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That 'Flare' is a Vegas dancing girl with lots of floof! What a fab color combo - wouldn't think it would work but it does.

We are getting lots of good rain today, too - Thank Goodness! We had a really dry May.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, bless the rain. My lake was getting low.

Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly' has a brand new bloom. Here she is alone and also with her half sister in a family shot.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bc. Maikai 'Louise' is exploding in blooms.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Encyclia Green Hornet is nearing full bloom:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The Phals seem to be happy.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Brassolaelia Memoria Bernice Foster.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lc George Baldwin X C Trithena just won't quit and is putting out new spikes and blooms. I love the color.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Blc Keowee 'Newberry' opened last night. I've had it for years as it is a big plant and a very reliable bloomer.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is not your every day orchid and it is difficult to get good pictures of it as the blooms point straight down. This is the second year I have bloomed it and it produced two spikes each time. It is a fairly large plant as you can see when I moved it atop the grill. This is Ctsm Crown Fox Voodoo.

Jim

This message was edited Jun 4, 2012 7:09 PM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Really like Laelia tenebrosa.
I had a NOID Den follow me home from HD Thur. They must have just received a shipment. Of course she was packed in moss so I figured I was saving her from a certain slow death. I'm terrible at getting pics but will try to remember later.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I went to the sale at Byrd's Orchids today in Lakeland and picked up a few cattleyas. Two are in bloom - Blc. Pratum Green "Bonserm" and Blc. Marasri.

The other two I picked based on their names - C. Hawaiian Wedding Song x Lc. Ann Akagi and C. Hawaiian Snowflake x C. Angel Walker. I tend to like anything with Hawaii in the name, LOL!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Speaking of Laelia tenebrosa, here is her sister Laelia purpurata.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Also blooming is Aerides houlletiana:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bc Little Star is full of blooms and the first two opened today. The evenings will soon smell delightful in the OC.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Malanie, nice color on your two new Catts.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Love those Laelias, Jim. Beautiful color.

Melanie your new Catts are beautiful, too. If you're straying as far as Lakeland to buy orchids, you really need to go a bit further and hit some of the great places in Apopka! Prices are simply astounding compared to your everyday local orchid nurseries.

I'm still waiting for a couple of new blooms - maybe tomorrow. This orchid growing sure does teach you patience.

I always loved the sign on the wall of my neighbor's kitchen in Salt Lake City (they have seven kids). It said "Dear Lord, give me patience and I want it RIGHT NOW".

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 8:41 PM

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I went out to water and discovered a bloomer I had missed. This is Epi. Mabel Kanda 'Miyao' X Epi.Cordigerum 'Paradise'

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My Psychopsis alba has produced a second bloom on the spike that was blooming. I have seen this before but not often.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I just have to post more of Lc George Baldwin X C. Trithena. It bloomed in November and then began again in early May. Right now it has eight blooms fully open and 5 buds in the waiting. The plant occupies an 8 inch clay pot that's ready to burst. This is a fabulus plant that I can recommend to everyone.

Jim

north coast nsw, Australia

Paph Leeanum
Blc. George King x C. Dubosia looks abit wrecked from all the rain. May look better when fully open.

Thumbnail by breeindy Thumbnail by breeindy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Rhynchovola Jimminey Cricket, also known as a Brassavola (nodosa X digbyana) opened today. It is such a delicate flower.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is an update on Blc Keowee 'Newberry'. Great plant and a reliable bloomer.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is the regular version of Phychopsis butterfly.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are a couple of good pics of Ctsm Crown Fox Voodoo.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hanging like a bunch of grapes is Aerides houlletiana.

Jim

Jim - a Phychopsis butterfly question. A couple of my LONG stalks have dried up at the ends. Do I just cut them back to a "node" to have them start blooming again?

I rescued a Phal from the 75% rack at Lowes this AM ($3.25). He had buds on his main stalk and a side stalk that is also forming buds. Leaves & roots look healthy. Next is to get him out of that wad of spaghum.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I never cut a Phochopsis spike unless I am sure it is completely dead. It will branch on its own if it wants to.

Jim

The top of 2 spikes is crispy dead. Thought I'd break it off right below that spot.
The 2 others appear to be healthy and are blooming.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That sounds fine, Jean.

Opening for me today is Cattleya Summer Spot 'Carmela'. This is the first time I have seen her bloom.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And a couple more pics just for the fun of it.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That little fella is conflicted - classic elegant lip, and those wild petals. What a cutie.

Here's my little energizer, Zlm. Teipei's Goldbar

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Very nice, Elaine. For those who may not know, Zlm. is short for Zelemnia which is a Tolumnia crossed with a Zelenkoa.

Jim

north coast nsw, Australia

Love Cattleya Summer Spot 'Carmela' Do you know the parentage? Looks alot like Caudebec x Lulu?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bree, I think C. Summer Spot 'Carmela' is a cross between C. Summer Stars x C.aclandiae.

Jim

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Posting to say I am missing orchid friends and this forum a lot. Sorry for being MIA and for having to keep posting "so sorry". We returned to Atlanta hours ago and only for a few days because I"m working. Most orchids are getting by on auto-pilot. Some are less happy.

We are preparing to host a third annual Georgia RU and pig out (really Kosher hot dog, so cow out) at Maypop. It has over flowed to include a few adjoining states. DD's wedding and four day celebration follows four weeks later. I am catering (I'm a caterer/chef as well as a R.N.) three separate events that weekend. I also have to arrange for flowers, linen, table, tent and chair rental at multiple venues and have separate themes for each party. Daughter's wish for a simple, post nuptial, country weekend is not so simple. Being one of the three apples of our eyes (middle apple)...no problem. lol We need to be in Miami, on business, the week after the wedding. August in Miami. Ugh. I've spent the last three days on the phone dealing with people in charge of my house and the current termite infestation.

I have promised to post photos and even taken pics but then have to be on the run to another city and have no time to compress or post. Maybe if things calm down in the next few days. I'm honestly trying.
Laurel

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Laurel, We miss you, but you have to prioritize! just remember to take care of you!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup, and we're pretty good at amusing ourselves while you're away. : )

If it ever stops raining, I'll take a picture of what my shade shack looks like with orchids in it!

Melanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.