Dollar Store Garbage Cans

Woburn, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi,

We got an idea this year to use the dollar store waste basket $1 each for some of our garden. You can use a sharp object to poke holes in the bottom of the container.

Thumbnail by xenspirit Thumbnail by xenspirit
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Heat a nail or large screw while using pliers ore Vise-Grips to hold it and MELT a hole through the bottom near the side. It makes the container stronger - much less likely to fail due to a break-out from a weak hole.

Al

Woburn, MA(Zone 6b)

I did have one break out where a hole split and later the whole basket. I was using a bead reamer from jewelry making to make my holes.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I use a lot of old prescription pill containers for rooting cuttings. I keep a cheap soldering gun handy on the work bench & just poke holes in the bottom as I need them. It's amazing how often I want a hole in something plastic so I can anchor a branch or plant to it or push a wick through it to help drain excess water from the soil.

Good growing!

Al

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

Great idea!!

Lubbock, TX

very pretty!

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

The dollar store is a great place to look for gardening supplies. For a while there I was buying plastic trays that held 12 / 4" pots perfectly from there. I was crushed when they stopped carrying them, but I see they have them back this year, yipee. They also have lots of good plastic bowls and such to use for tufa or cement pot molds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.