Pollen tubes

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know where i can get the pollen tubes to
store daylily seed in the freezer, I bought about 100 of
them & the plastic box to put them in. I bought them about
1 year ago & can't remember where I bought them from.

I froze daylily seeds in the refridgerator last fall & when I
went to use them I let them thaw out for 6 hours & that was
a mastake, They were wet & soggy & the pollen washed off
so I guess I should have let them thaw for only about 1/2
hour & now they are all wasted. I let them dry out before I
froze them in the plastic tubes.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I got some a few years ago on the LA. Can't remember the name of the seller right now, but they had a website as well. Hopefully someone will come along that knows.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I checked the LA but they're nnot selling on there right now. But I found their website. Earth Star http://www.earthstarproducts.com/

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

I have heard NOT to store seeds in the freezer because this ruins them. Was that the first time you have done that? Why do you have pollen in the tubes with the seeds?

If you mean you stored pollen in the tubes, if it got wet then the anthers weren't dried out enough. It only takes about 5 minutes for the pollen to thaw and then it's ready. The tubes should be kept shut until the pollen is thawed or it will suck in moisture and cause the pollen to get wet. I use the tubes (along with matchboxes) and the only time the pollen got wet inside was when I didn't let the anthers dry out completely.

I also reuse the tubes. I have a tiny brush, the kind you use to clean the feeder holes on hummingbird feeders, to clean them out then I let them dry for a few days.

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Tink..I let the pollen dry for about 1 hour & then froze them in the tubes but I told you wrong, I don't freeze the seeds I ment to say I froze the pollen & it was the pollen that washed away. I think the mosture in the tubes got the pollen wet. Like you said I let the pollen thaw to long before using it. Joy.. Thank you for the information about buying from Earth Star.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

You're welcome Roseman.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.