Hello from Ontario

St Catharines, ON(Zone 6a)

Hi all! I just joined two days ago, I'm not only new to the site but also to gardening. I have a small backyard, a small budget, and as of yet a small amount of knowledge. I spent the past two days reading and learning, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. With three young children the backyard needs to retain some lawn area, but I am plotting and planning to take over as much as I can! My kids are 6, 4, and 7 months old, so time is a luxury for me. But digging in the dirt and pulling weeds is very relaxing to me, and I plan on starting some stuff from seeds soon. I purchased some herbs and some flowers, and can't wait to see what will happen with them. Looking forward to meeting you all on these boards!

~Iris~ (yep, that is actually my name ;)

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome to Dave's Garden and to a wonderful new hobby, Iris! There are lots of helpful experienced gardeners here, so if you ever have any questions, someone will be happy to help.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Welcome to Dave's Garden, Iris! Your life sounds a wee bit like mine......small hobby budget, kids (my youngest is 8 months old) and short on free time. And you're in Ontario! Better zone than where I'm at though :o). Hope you enjoy your time here. It truly is a valuable resource on the web!

Cheers,
Erynne

St Catharines, ON(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the welcome!
I'm learning tons, and am actually having a hard time right now trying to decide what peaks my interest the most! Yesterday I was at a local grocery store, and I saw three beautiful varieties of coleus on a shelving unit outside. I actually recognized the plant and was tickled when I read the labels and saw I was correct. I'd love to try my hand at propagating coleus, am fascinated by growing from seed, love growing veggies (we have green beans! Yes! Tiny, but they are beans alright.), love flowers... Too many fun things and not enough time and money to explore all of them! Everyone should have my problem ;)

This message was edited Jun 9, 2012 9:21 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Welcome to DavesGarden

Passed your neck of the woods the last few weekends..Lordy how it's grown!

By now you will be preparing for our winter..Gardens put to bed for yet another year..

Harrod, OH

Hello, Iris
Welcome! I am new here, too but found a warm welcome right away so I quickly felt at home. You will, also.
My days of raising little ones are over so I now enjoy two beautiful grandkiddies. Our oldest is seven and youngest, four. They are so full of life and a bundle of fun. I do not see them very often because of the separation of many miles.
Enjoy your kids while you can. They grow up so fast and leave even faster. I hated to part with mine when they left the nest but it comes to all of us sooner than we like. At least it was that way for us.
Have fun searching and learning. I have enjoyed my time here so far and have found the "family" here to be very kind and helpful.
Chat any time you wish. Oma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.