Cannas and Nematodes

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Do nematodes infest cannas? I have nematodes and have to grow nematode-resistant tomatoes because of it. I planted some cannas in the garden and they did all right for a couple years but now do not do much. I might have gotten one flower last year out of a dozen or more stalks. Cannas in pots do somewhat better for me. Do you think I have a nematode problem?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I believe they can be susceptible to root-knot nematodes, but there are plenty of other things that can cause problems for them too. Do you have some pictures? Or descriptions of any symptoms besides just not blooming how you'd hoped? If they look healthy and just aren't blooming as much, I'd look at things like increased shade in the area or them being too crowded, either of those could cause decreased blooming.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

cannas are heavy feeders. have you fed them lately?

Ecrane, the plants get plenty of sun. I don't think they are too crowded.

Trackinsand, that could be the problem. I don't know if I have ever fed them and the plants themselves don't look all that vigourous.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

they also need more than a fair amount of water to look and bloom their best but can get by without it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think trackinsand is probably right about the fertilizer--if you've never fed them and they don't look very vigorous I'd try feeding them and see if that helps.

I gave them some plant food and we water that area more now and they are starting to bloom. Thank you, all.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.