I wised I'd stop loosing tags

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

One of the "Candy" series or Daring/Darling Deception?

Thumbnail by bigred
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have started putting one under the plant when it goes into the ground as a final fail-safe so fading/inquisitive squirrels or dogs or children will not defeat me! :-)

Wish I could help you with the ID.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I think I have...I hope...id as Strawberry Candy

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

That one looks more like Wineberry Candy to me. I know Strawberry Candy varies a lot, but mine don't look a lot like that one.

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have Strawberry Candy. The stats are 26",Tet,4.25",SEv,EM,Re,Ext Strawberry pink blend with rose red eyezone and golden green throat.

Mine always seems to have a faint pink edge also.

This is a side by side of two different Strawberry Candys I have.

Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I also have Exotic Candy, 26",Tet,4.25",Dor,M,VFrag,Re Light pink with dark red rose eyezone and green throat.

What do you think? Not sure as the eye in your picture seems to be darker/more intense than it does in mine.

Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Strawberry Candy in my garden

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Wineberry Candy might be it. Check out the photos: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/37305/

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

As soon as I saw your pic, I thought of ROYAL SCANDAL

Photo borrowed from Tinker's Database.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 1:23 AM

Thumbnail by Joy
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Lovely blooms btut now I'm back to square one as to what the one I have is..Wah!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I am curious ditchlily what type of label you put underneath??? I have tried several labels on my DLs and they always seem to fade out. I do not have the label machine....... does anyone use that? I think I might need to try it as I am really tired of losing names as well !!

Good luck Peggy on figuring out what you have!

Genna

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I have some that I bought years ago that are made of foil that you write on with a pencil. It actually makes an imprint. You can make your own using aluminum cans or heavy duty aluminum foil folded over several times. I have also just planted the label that usually came with the plant, if it is not exposed to UV the writing usually lasts much longer.

Not where I bought them from, but these are what I am talking about. They are a bit cheaper here: http://www.gemplers.com/product/T800/Aluminum-Marking-Tags-Box-of-100?sku=T800&src=25SEPLA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=T800&gclid=CMz1mtaxrbACFUyb7QodDG8iVQ

I bought mine here in 2008 and then forgot that I had them until recently: http://roycroftdaylilies.com/otheritems

Here is a link to a way to make your own: http://gardentenders.com/projects/702

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

For labels above ground the Brother P-touch labels are great (I have not actually used them, but know lots have). I recently added zinc labels and used a china marker that is oil based. They do not fade in the sun, but can be reused if you use oil to remove the writing. The paint pens that you get in craft stores also last if you write with them. DON'T use regular "permanent" Sharpies, they will fade in the sun. I have been told that the industrial Sharpies will not, but have never used them myself.

The zinc labels.
Close up of zinc label.
Here is one that someone sent me with a labeler.
Another zinc label with the original plant marker next to it, an "expensive" plastic knife marked with a paint pen. Made in 2009.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206 Thumbnail by DitchLily206
Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I was going to buy the laser labels and print them to put on the markers. Since I have had the markers for over a year, but just never found a good time to buy them and print, I decided to just use the china marker. Not as pretty, but it works and has the added advantage of making the plate faces reusable.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I have several of the zinc tags like that - some colored some plain, but I was told to use a pencil to label them so it wouldn't fade. That did not work! My garden is in full sun and there is almost NOTHING left on the labels. I did label most on the back as well, and that is still legible. I needed to reuse them though - thinking I would just 'erase' what was on there and could not get it off so I can't reuse the tag!!

I have not tried the china marker, but that sounds like a good option if it doesn't fade. I would love to have one of the ptouch but not sure which to buy or what type of labels you need to avoid the fading..........

Thanks for the info!

Genna

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I cannot speak from personal experience for the China Marker, but I read elsewhere that they last. We shall see. As a precaution I did not remove the original markers that have lasted for 3-4 years.

Bryan, TX

Everyone is correct.
Sharpies fade in the sun - that's why I don't know what daylilies I own. I'm going to reread this so maybe I will be able to tell my plants hello using their proper name - not "hello, daylilly."

South Bend, IN

I've used the p-touch labels and zinc tags and they have been fine. I've had the labels in the ground for a year or so now and they look exactly the same as when I stuck them out there, even the ones in full sun. They were fine through the mild winter but since I use them to label tubes in our -80˚C freezer in the lab, I'm pretty confident they won't have any issue with harsher temps. You just need to be sure to use the laminated tapes so that they are UV resistant.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Could this be 'Cranberry Angels'?
http://members.westnet.com.au/narranga/small/cranberryangels.html

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

pixie....no Cranberry Angels doesn't ring a bell....but stranger things have happened. Maybe person that I traded w/ got the tag mixed up.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I like those aluminum write on tags - the indentation doesn't fade. They can be put on a short length of wire which is pushed into the ground at the bottom of the plant. Got mine at Gempler's.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You can also use a black paint pen. Most craft stores or art supply stores carry them. They will not fade.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info on the paint pen!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You are welcome!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.