Looking for inspiration

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Herman, that's my idea, too. If Dcart had posted 10 days ago, I could have really come across with a bed that is almost all irises and peonies. The first photo has the Siberian irises and clematis, almost the same color.

The peonies have been more fleeting than usual, especially due to all the extra rain. The only bonus is that they don't all bloom at once, but the rain does make a mess of them. In the second photo you can see the single peonies, and some of the allium are still in bloom, but alas, the monarda is as high as an elephant's eye due to all the rain. Mondarda (bee balm) will probably start blooming within the next 2 weeks.

In the third photo you can see the beautiful accents of the Globemaster allium and the tall bearded irises, today all gone. The smaller allium will be coming up within a month.

Because this bed is near the front sidewalk, and we have a lot of foot traffic, I like to make sure this is some curb appeal. It started out with spring flowers, and while the in-ground plants are getting ready to bloom, I added some of the containers. In the largest containers, I, too, have added a tomato plant, and there are tomatoes at the rear of the bed. While some of the containers are very large, I've add false bottoms, so they are not as heavy to move. As the containers fill in, they will spill over the top and look like they've been there forever.

One of the easiest ways to add early color especially in shade is to start caladiums in containers indoors. I pride myself on always having something in bloom. In a short while the asiatic lilies will be in full swing. They have already started opening. While we all have different varieties of flowers that are pretty much guaranteed to bloom, there are few perennials with long periods of blooming or reblooming. Because most of the lilies have finished blooming early to mid-August, the echinaceas, balloon flower and a few others are still going strong, but I like to supplement with dahlias that continue to the first frost.

Here in the northeast we have experienced extremely unusual winter weather: low precipitation and not a lot of cold. To make matters better (or worse), we had a colder April than March and lots of supplemental rain. So quite frankly, we haven't a clue what is coming next. That's what I like about a cottage garden.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Beautiful photos, Herman and Cathy.

Dcart---I didn't think about the zone issue for trees in pots. 4B gets pretty cold in the winter, so I'm not sure you can do that there or not. And you wouldn't be able to do ceramic planters---would have to be wooden, I would think?

Pic---foxgloves, salvia pretensis, hydrangea (not yet in bloom)

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Fort Dodge, IA

Beautiful photo, I love foxglove. I can't wait until I get some blooming here.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This is as close as we can get it in the south (Houston) and must be in winter, still may inspire ideas. Located in The Heights, Houston.
Rj

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Is this your home rjudd??? It is absolutely incredible. I love the oranges, and how the edibles are mixed in. Magazine worthy. wow.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

yes, wow! I still have not been able to completely cover my garden so no dirt shows through. Is that rhubarb or swiss chard?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is a home in my neighborhood. I believe it is one of the two rhubarb. It is an extremely difficult task to pull that kind of a garden off in Houston. I thought there was some sort of Hotwarts magic going on!
It all must be planted in October or so for a full bloom like that by Jan, Feb before it gets too warm.
They brilliantly incorporated some tropical plants that can pass off as a bit cottage.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Rjudd, that is the epitome of curb appeal. The homeowner has some really interesting stuff planted. Does it last through the summer?

Certainly makes my curb appeal less than appealing: Almost all of the early bloomers are gone unlike annuals that usually go for the entire season through a first frost. When I use containers, they generally contain more than one plant, so not only do I move the containers around to different locations, but I also rotate the actual container to provide the best focal points.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I do the container rotation myself.
No, that beautiful scene was gone by end of march. I haven't looked to see what they have for an encore...I've recently been transferred to Chicago.

Barberton, OH

Definitely Chard.. Last pic shows it best. Had some for dinner to night.
Herman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.