Type of impatiens for hanging baskets?

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

I have some window boxes that I've always planted trailing impatiens in. The past couple of years though, the only impatiens I have found got too tall for the look I want. They are great as bedding plants, but.........
I am willing to raise impatiens from seed, if I only knew what variety to get for hanging baskets and window boxes. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Try the newer SunPatiens series in the compact group. They spread rather than mound and can take more sun than traditional impatiens. They also come in a variety of colors and stand up to heat and disease more reliably than other types.

Thayer, MO(Zone 6a)

Wonderful! Thanks for the information!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I would not use New Guinea Impatiens. It is more of a bedding plant.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

SunPatiens are not the same as New Guinea impatiens, although they are a hybrid. They can take morning sun without wilting as long as they are kept moist and fertilized. I wouldn't place them in full sun as some growers may state. I wouldn't place NG impatiens in full sun either. Both are just too quick to dry out, especially with the temps we've been having in the midwest.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

1alh, my garden center told me that NG impatiens need more sun than the others. And he is the only knowledgeable guy there, so I assumed he was right. Sales people at garden centers often give out misinformation, but not nearly as often as the big box stores.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, NG impatiens can take more sun than other types. But not a full 6-8 hours. Maybe in an east location with plenty of moisture. Full sun in the midwest summer tends to bake any type of impatiens. And if the sun doesn't kill them, then our 95 degree heat and wind will.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Our cold zones can often be misleading. For us, anything above high 80s is out of character. Anything in the 90s is a heat wave.

I bought the NG impatiens because I thought they were pretty. The blooms are pretty, but I don't see much growth. They seem to be in full bloom at once, then slowly die off. Then they are all foliage. Then the blooms start again. I don't expect to get them again.

Mimi, if you're not averse to bees, maybe fuchsia would work for you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.