Is this Queen Anne's Lace?

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Received a start of this last year. The lady said she thought it was Queen Anne's Lace but the foliage looks much more lush than the photos I have pulled up on google.

Does anyone know of a look-alike?

Thanks

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Looks much more like white yarrow to me.

White yarrow would be much better in your garden than queen ann's lace which will seed all over the place if you don't dead head it, making it a weed in the garden hard to get rid of.

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

I also don't think it looks like Queen Anne's Lace. It grows all over this area wild and the flowers aren't as white as the ones in the photo and the plants not as robust.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I agree, white yarrow. Mine seeds all over the place. At one point I tried to get rid of it, then changed my mind. There are worse things...

Pam

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree. I've deleted a lot of it and then replaced it.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

It is achillea, there are many that are nice garden plants, multipling around from runners and stays in a clump. There is a new variety on the market, and it is a reseeder, just horid cuz is just keeps going all over the garden. I got rid of mine and have kept the clumpers. It is an herb and can be made into a tea.

Daucus carota is Queen Anne's Lace, pix below of the taller variety which is a biennial. I love it, yes it does reseed but easy to pull. Lightly fragrant, blooms in late spring.

1.Daucus c. , this one is 6 foot tall....., and there is also a roadside one at 12"

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

fyi..Another positive for Queen Anne's Lace is that it is a host plant for butterflies.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

yep!!!!!!!!!! Swallowtales, the main reason I love it!!! LOL.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Queen ann's lace has 1 (one) dark flower in the center of the white ones. At least all the wild ones around here have. Luciee {;^)

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Yes, it does not have have dark bloom amongst the white blooms. It does look a lot more like the White Yarrow pictures on google.

Thanks everyone!

Dawn

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Close up of Daucus carota, the 6-7ft er.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

"Orchidfancy" has a plant in her front yard that looks like Queen Anne's lace and it is so beautiful. She called it Orlaya.. Look up that flower and see if it looks like the mystery plant. When I first saw my friend's, I thought it was QA's lace too. Such a striking flower and delicate looking.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Orlaya is available fromThompson & Morgan Seeds.

The foliage is the determining factor in ID ing it as a yarrow, tell tale sign would be to crush some of the leave yarrow will smell herb like.

Pix are both yarrows, sorry no foliage tho.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Dawn, I believe everyone is saying white yarrow so if you are satisifed, this should be marked solved.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree it's yarrow not Orlaya. Can't mark things solved in this forum though, you can only do that in a few places like the ID forum.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Oops... Was thinking this was the id forum...my bad!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I love all yarrows. Beautiful, long bloomers. So many color choices. Here is a pic of some of mine from last summer.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone.

I'm going with the white yarrow ID.

Dawn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.