First Clematis blooms

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

An elderly neighbor rooted this clematis vine from a clipping off of one of hers and gave it to me last year. I don't know the name/cultivar. This is the first time it has bloomed and this is my first ever clematis. :~)

Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike Thumbnail by DWMike
Ripley, MS

Congratulations, it is very pretty. Some of the people here have dozens of them, but I have not had much luck, I have probably killed a dozen or so-LOL

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Very nice! Congrats on being able to (1) root it and (2) successfully grow it to bloom! I have 4 (not counting Sweet Autumn which 'everybody' can grow) and would love to have more.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Very pretty DWMike. I'm with Elaine, congrats on you being able to get one to root. I have tried and tried and they look like they are gonna root and then they die. I got in on ChefMike's Coop last year and brought a few more that I didn't have and they are doing nice. 2 have bloomed already but I put them in pots and the bloom is smaller.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Very pretty one DW! Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine !

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Blooming now for several weeks---clematis.

Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Those are both lovely.... I have a few, but mine never look as good as my Mom's used to....not sure what she did but hers were always bigger and fuller than mine are!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, Cymbelina. My 'Dr. Ruppel' blooming here in TN. I've had it in a pot to see how it would do, but now I may have to move it to the ground. :)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Not sure what this one is. But just started blooming this week.

Thumbnail by happytail
Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I have high humidity and heat here from June lst to late September..
The perennials that were photogenic and did super well for me the lst year
after planting were tall garden phlox, coneflowers, there have been dozens I have
planted and they were just pulled up due to wilt and mildew..........the next
year...

I can grow clematis well here...in amended clay soil on an elevated area in the yard
with only 4 hours of sun a day if that much...
I can grow daylilys here beautifully and most salvias..
Iris I can grow..so that is what I have narrowed down to growing in hot humid
southern states...after 15 years of trial and error....
It got expensive and disheartening because I had to buy all my plants
and no one shared theirs..I have given so many nice plants away
I tried to do unto others as I would like them to do to me..

I have gotten so much joy from gardening!
here is my blog....
http://sherishealingflowergarden.blogspot.com/

Sheri

Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Your clematis are gorgeous...... do you give them a special fertlizer ? Mine are blooming like crazy this year - but the blooms are smaller than I think they should be..............

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Wow, Sheri, your clematis are gorgeous. Who wouldn't love clematis after seeing this? I have loved them for years but only planted some about 3 years ago. They lay on the ground or crawled up their short trellis (that came with the plant) and sort of limped along with one or two blooms last year. This spring, I just decided to get some trellises since they were obviously never going to grow up my privacy fence without help and they've bloomed and bloomed and gone over the top to the other side. I love love love them and got a new one this spring--a double bloom, Belle of Woking. I can't wait to see it bloom like the others. :)

Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina Thumbnail by Cymbelina
Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I applied 10 10 10 to them out from the stem area
about 3 inches the last week of Feb..and made sure a rain
was on the way

that is all I did..Oh yes I put one cup of lime to each one
at the same time and dug down and added that...
about 2 inches in the ground...

thank you all for the compliments!
Sheri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.