Some of my Sarracenias!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Flowering too! Taken in the past day:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
noonamah, Australia

Those look great. I didn't realise they had flowers as large as that.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Outstanding! As a newbie to meat eaters, you are really making me want to expand my horizons! Those are beautiful!

Arlington, TX

Who made the yellow flowers? I only added a couple new plants this year and I am hoping the yellow comes from S. flava?

C

Meateater=nitrogen seeker

Flava it is!

Arlington, TX

Do you cut the leaves off in the spring? I have been leaving most of mine on all year and only trimming the ones that look worn and brown. I have seen a lot of pictures of them blooming with few pitchers so I was wondering?
C
I hope my flava grows up to be as nice as yours.

The flowers usually come first in the spring. Followed closely by new leaves. You can leave the leaves on and only trim off the dead/dieing ones if you want. I cut ALL my leaves off due to the fact that mine go in the fridge for winter. Saves room.

Arlington, TX

I wondered about that. Is it too cold for most of them? Mine keep their leaves all winter with moderate die back. I do find the older leaves smell badly and are often clogged with moths and other insects.

You're in Texas so yours can stay outside all year. Just clip off the old dead and dieing stuff. If your night temps don't go below say 35 they'll be fine.

Arlington, TX

Tommy,
My plants have been outside for 5 years and have experienced temps way below 35. Two years ago we had ice storms and they were coated with ice. Still most of the pictures survived and the venus fly traps came back better than ever. Here is the catch. I only had several pots of Judith Hindle and purpurea ssp. venosa. I just bought some flava, alata and leucophylla, so I am wondering how they will like it here. I suspect they will be fine but we will see.
Cheryl

Beverly Hills, CA

I know this thread is getting cold. Personally, I leave the leaves on mine up until I see new spring grow just starting to poke out. After that, I cut off all of the previous years growth to the ground. This way, light hits the crown evenly and new growth will come up evenly. Ends up looking awesome this way! I do leave green growth on during the winter so the plant can photosynthesize and not have to use up all of its stored energy.

Arlington, TX

Not a bad idea. I think most of my plants leaves are old ones?

Beverly Hills, CA

Whatever is left from last year. If they look ok now icwould leave them, otherwise chop off the nasty stuff.

Beverly Hills, CA

My trial subscription is running out, Tommy, just wanted to saw you have some fantastic looking sarracenias there, and wanted to thank you for sharing the photos with everyone. I wish you the best- happy growing!

Thanks ayahuasca, hope you resubscribe!

north coast nsw, Australia

Heres abunch of my flowers, thing is they stink like sweat. hehe! Not very good inside.

Thumbnail by breeindy
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

They stink? What a shame! They certainly are gorgeous!

yes they attract bugs and flies to pollinate them so they stink.

None of mine produced seed sadly. I was hoping to try my hand at starting some Sarrs.

Good growing Bree!

Prosper, TX(Zone 8a)

Here be my S. minor v. okefenokeensis.

Thumbnail by perkoschilefarm

i love Minor heres mine.

Thumbnail by breeindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.