Doritaenopsis NOID

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Thought this might be Dtps. Ever-spring Prince "Black Bird", but not sure. Anybody have any ideas?

Thumbnail by ted5310 Thumbnail by ted5310
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Ted, I tried my crude method of plugging the name into a Google search. The best pic I came up with for "Black Bird" did not have as much of a white edge as your flowers. They weren't as dark a color either. Doesn't necessarily mean a thing of course, it's hard to photograph red and get the color to show right.

Flowers can vary too, but there are a few more that are similar, notably "Black Swan" and "Black Butterfly02" did have the white edge in the pic I found. http://www.millennium-orchids.co.uk/photo3.html

It's a great flower, lovely purple stems and look at all the buds you have coming! Nice growing there!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't think it's so crude. I tried the same thing and did not get to where you got. You're right about the reds. This 'chid is very dark, much darker than the photo. I think you're right. I'm going with "Black Butterfly02"

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Hey, that's like mine.

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

And (drum roll) does yours have a label??

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Nope! :) It was a "black" dpts that I got at a wholesale nursery in Half Moon Bay. In this thread (http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1245127/), MaypopLaurel said that there might be someone who could help to identify, but the first bud only opened a couple weeks ago so I was waiting to get a better pic.

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

It's gorgeous, anyway. You're obviously growing it well, so keep on doing what you're doing.

I'd go with Ted's guess that it is Dtps. Ever-spring Prince 'Black Butterfly02' or keep on searching for the expert who can ID it.

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Nice. Got mine at Gubler in Yucca Valley at there yearly Rotary thing. Comes up in October I think

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks dyzzy :)

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Black Butterfly 02 looks like it might have a hint of yellow in the middle

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I emailed the person that Maypop suggested and here's what he said:

Identification of Harlequin Phal hybrids is tricky at best. Your picture looks like a Harlequin bred with a white. If this be true, I see three possibilities that exist (at least):

1. Dtps. Yu Pin Panda (Phal. Golden Peoker x Phal. Ming-Hsing Snow Angel). It's usually rounder than the flower pictured.

2. Dtps. Yu Pin Pearl (Phal. Ever-spring King x Phal. Musashino). This is likely the one, though it shows some further mutation.

3. Or a further mutation of one of these or of another Harlequin Phal. If the latter is the case, then you will not be able to discern its true identity.

Tom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.