Colorado Cactus

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This is Coryphantha/Escobaria vivipara, Plains Spiny Star. The one on the right is a more typical display, the one on the left really got carried away this year. The variety that grows in Pueblo West has some traits more like cactus farther southwest rather than its plains cousins. It blooms with available moisture rather than at a particular time of year. Since they bloomed early this year, they should bloom again after the July rains. Well - maybe not the one on the left - it will be interesting to see if it is too tired out.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Very pretty. Thanks for sharing!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

I wonder if it is because of last year they bloom this way, or if it is next year they are preparing for...most of the western deserts I've seen appear to be blooming heavy- desperately almost.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, we had an early dry spring here. I set a sprinkler for some fruit trees that also gave the cactus in the picture a good soak. The ones that bloomed before I watered had fewer flowers that usual, same for the ones that didn't get extra water. And the other cactus are ones that bloom at a particular time of year - the ones in the photo bloom with available moisture.

Other types of wildflowers are blooming a bit early, and mostly in low spots that get more moisture.

The nearby fruit trees set more fruit that usual because we didn't get any killing frosts, but they are taking a lot more water. I usually water them with a soaker hose that doesn't reach the cactus.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Umm, saw the notice of NM fires, Co always gets those too, stay safe and well done.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

RE: Fires. Yes, I am afraid it is going to be one of those years. Dry Winter, Dry Spring, and probably dry summer. I am in a suburban area with houses mixed with prairie - & I keep the vacant lot closest to me mowed - so I'm probably okay. The family has some Mountain property that had a lot of trees blow down last fall in a wind storm - it is at greater risk. We are going to contract with a logging company to haul off the downed trees ASAP. We never thought we would be in the logging business, but better that than a huge bonfire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.