Clem for Wisconsin

Shell Lake, WI

Beautiful flowering vines! Are there any that would survive Wisconsin winter's?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What zone are you in?

Shell Lake, WI

To me it looks like zone 4-5

Hummingbird Farms to the rescue! They specialize in clematis for the "Frozen North".
http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis.htm#tex

Click on any photo that appeals to you and you'll get the hardiness zone. Have fun looking!

Shell Lake, WI

Thank you!!

Let us know what you bought.

Here in MN climate like yours are some that I grow: Claire de Lune, Elsa Spath, Hagely Hybrid, Killian Donahue, Ramona, Roguchi and Duchess of Albany among others but this will give you an idea of some that like our climate.

Shell Lake, WI

Daylillydreams--Thank you!! Are they pretty easy to grow?

They do take a couple of years to get established the first year they settle in, the second year they start creeping up their support, the third year they take off and look pretty good. You have to be patient for a couple of years at least here they will not take right off and bloom the first year. This forum has lots of information on how to plant and fertilize. I would not recommend a clematis to a beginning gardener as it does require patience and most beginners want it now.

Shell Lake, WI

Oh I have plenty of time and it's worth the wait to see them climb and bloom ;-)

We clematis lovers enjoy hearing you say that. They definitely are worth the wait.

Thumbnail by pirl

I so agree they are most definitely worth the wait. I recently took a picture of Claire de Lune it is still loaded on the camera. This was it's best year so far it is planted in partial shade one that will do well there.

That one and Nelly Moser are both so beautiful and they both love shade.

Shell Lake, WI

The area I want to plant one if alot of sun...

Most of them will adore full sunshine.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

Smellthis, I have 'President', 'Lime twist', 'jackmani', 'pink champagne', and 'snow queen'. The last two I got at Menards this year on clearance. I also have seed from 9 other varieties (pirl, is it too late to start those tis year?)
Check Menards, HD and if you hve one, Lowes, for clearance. They should all be well suited for your yard.

Shell Lake, WI

I bought one it's purple-forget name right off hand, something Luna I think. Will have to get more.

Minne - I've never raised them from seed so I guess a search on Google might be your best chance at finding out how and when to do it.

Smell - Purple is my favorite color in the garden. Just about all plants go well with it.

Litchfield Park , AZ(Zone 9b)

I live in the Madison area and I have about 15 different varieties of Clemantis and have not had any problem with winter kill. I am attaching a pic of the Jackmanii growing on a trellis by my mailbox.

Thumbnail by dmwade Thumbnail by dmwade

Beautiful!

Lothair, MT(Zone 4a)

Hi from the Frost Zone! I am answering this from work, so just speaking off the cuff. I have lots of clems in my z3-4 garden and they really do vary in their growth rate and habit. Some are just tougher, more vigorous, or more free-flowering than others. Pink Fantasy was blooming by Memorial Day. Elsa Spath has huge flowers. Etoile Rose has beautiful nodding bells of cherry red with a dark pink reverse. Blue Bird blooms just the once in spring but the lacy vine is glorious and the flowers are so pretty. Warsaw Nike has very deep purple-red blooms.

I have definitely had my failures though. Queen Josephine struggled along for 4 yrs or so and finally croaked. She just never seemed to get going. PPE is spindly for me. Triternata did not 'take'. I planted a whole bunch last summer and I just have not had time to study which ones are doing the best....working lots of overtime. I have the weekend off, so hopefully I will get out in the yard and look at the markers and refresh my memory.

One thing I would say is not to overlook some of the non-clinging varieties. They make beautiful pillars rambling up an obelisk or cage. I love Petit Faucon (absolutely carefree for me), and I have another that I can't name off the top of my head that is 6' tall as a 2nd yr plant. Somewhere I have a post of the pillars I made out of tomato cages.....simple, pretty and cheap! The only tool neded was a pair of pliers.

I am thrifty by nature and good clems are not generally cheap. Debbie at Silver Star Vinery has awesome plants that have wonderful roots. She is also a great resource to steer you toward those clems that might be better in your setting. She is closing very soon for the season, but she was having a sale.... www.silverstarvinery.com I have also heard good things about Dan at Brushwood

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.