Need invasive for under pines on slope....

Shell Lake, WI

Any ideas for something that likes shade --under pines on a slight slope????

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Gout weed (aegopodium) seems to fit the bill. I had some growing in a box of beach sand, in a closet with the door closed without water. Had I not burned it, it would have broken the door down. However, when it invades your whole neighborhood and the peasants march to your front door carrying torches and pitchforks, don't come crying to me. I warned you.

Sylvain.

Shell Lake, WI

LOL travels pretty good huh? Will think on that .

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Some ferns would fit the bill without incurring the wrath of your neighbors, such as Marginal Wood Fern - Dryopteris marginalis, Christmas Fern - Polystichum acrostichoides,and Sensitive Fern - Onoclea sensibilis.

Shell Lake, WI

I have alot of fern growing in our woods--need to take pic and post it maybe someone could tell me if this might work.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I was going to suggest native ferns. Luciee {;^)

Shell Lake, WI

This is my start at least ;-)

Thumbnail by smellthis
Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Hostas might work for you, too, as long as you keep them well watered until they're established.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

English ivy - but it will grow up your tree and every other tree in the neighborhood!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sensitive fern has grown very well for me and I believe its said to not need 'as much' moisture as many ferns. Sensitive fern will solidly cover an area with fronds up to a foot (or so depending on moisture I think)

That doesn't look like a 'very' wide area. I see your Columbine. I would stick with Columbine and ferns, and tell yourself that some bare ground is OK in midsummer (if it happens) because it is not worth fighting the pine tee roots when you can have ferns and spring flowers.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 9:02 AM

Shell Lake, WI

Thanks Sally --I think thats what I'm going to stick with--They seem to be doing good!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally: How long does sensitive fern take to fill in? I have some, but it isn't at all "full" looking.

Oh -- I see it likes it moist. That would explain why it hasn't filled in for me.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 4:32 PM

Shell Lake, WI

Sally is that the name of the fern I show in pic above? I have tons of the one shown if anyone wants some for postage.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm no fern expert, but I think that is not Sensitive Fern, but rather (maybe) Hay-Scented Fern (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/52951/). Sensitive Fern has a very unique look, must softer and more delicate than typical ferns.

Shell Lake, WI

Yeah that does look more like it--there is a different fern in woods--will get a pic of it to

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

If you really just want the hill held up, another plant to consider is cotoneaster. I'm not very fond of it, but it does that job well.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

smellthis- I agree you do not have a sensitive fern there.
Here's a nice patch of Sensitive Fern
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/54897/

Shell Lake, WI

Okay --yes that leave isn't as thick and sturdy as what I have. And the one in my woods is a totally different one. Will try to get a pic tomorrow, it was actually a pretty one.

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

How about partridge berry?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.