May 24th, 2012: Clematis 'Crystal Fountain' (Clematis ) by wiggiej

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

The Bloom of the Day for May 24th, 2012 was Clematis 'Crystal Fountain' (Clematis ).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/botd.php?date=2012-05-24

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love the color.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Pirl! So different colors in looking at all the pics in this PF entry. From memory I think it is more blue than purple.

This is such a nice photo!

Yes, it's definitely not purple in our garden.

Thumbnail by pirl
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Pirl!

Thanks. That one took its time to bloom but last year was awful for clem's in the northeast. It was too cool for too long so we didn't get many blossoms at all. This year is just the opposite and it's grand.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh so they need hot weather to bloom well?

I guess they need warmer than what we had last spring!

Ann Arbor, MI

Hi Pirl and Kell!

I've seen the same thing with mine. Last spring was cold and it was pretty good, but not great. But its been warmer this spring (70s - 80s, by March) and my Crystal Fountain has been spectacular!
It's a sure a weird one, but it's grown on me over the last few years.

My comment for this photo was "I think that the colors of 'Crystal Fountain' are easier to describe than they are to photograph. Flowers open lavendar with pink-magenta undertones and develop more blue undertones
as they age."

Mine even has some flowers that have a pinwheel pattern of alternating pinkish and bluish tones this year! A few others seem to have reverted back to a more "traditional" clematis flower. Here's a kinda lousy
iPhone shot. It's hard to see, but the pinwheel flower is on the lower right and the reverted flower is at the upper left.

Jan

This message was edited May 25, 2012 8:11 AM

Thumbnail by wiggiej
Ann Arbor, MI

Sue -- Thanks for picking this one. It's always fun! -Jan

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful second photo too Jan. Just lovely! And sounds so entertaining too with all its changes. I know I had this one too a few years ago. I must have killed it off.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.