Uncarina roeoesliana blooming

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Where is everyone on this forum? Thought I'd show my beautiful plant that has lots of buds

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Do you have a shot of the stem of your plant? It looks quite happy. How much light does it get?

Side note here on the subject of semi-hydro. My one and only plant in s/h, an Adenium, just rotted out from the base of the stem. This struck me as odd, because s/h is supposed to help "overwater-proof" your plants, and I don't normally have rot problems. I'm not going to blame the media, though. Last fall the plant endured a root mealy attack (which I eliminated not long after it started by washing it clean and using a systemic). I'm guessing the problem started then with some root damage right before dormancy. I have another Adenium growing fine right next to it, in regular soil, with the same frequency of watering.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Baja,
I will answer the light question here and I will start a new thread and show all my S-H plants as they are now and you'll see the stem. The Uncarina is on a south facing patio and I have it positioned where it gets very bright light but NO direct sun. It is in the 100's here now and the sun is just too strong. I give it lots of water with food in it when it starts to develop leaves and no water or food when the leaves drop in the late summer/fall. It gets attacked by white flies here in late summer and the low, low humidity is hard for it, but it is doing very well considering.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Temps in the 100s? Yikes. We have only gotten above 68°F (20°C) three days this past month. Full sun obviously has a very different meaning here.

Decatur, GA

My Uncarina is blooming really well now. I am not sure which Unicarina it is though.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Like this plant Nancy. I found one at Aridlands and bought it. Should get here about Monday. Can't wait. Another plant baby to care for. Your pictures on this forum did it.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

They can get big.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342 Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Yardley, PA

That is an awesome tree!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, I've seen tree size ones planted in greenhouses. Mine is staying in its pot and it is not tropical enough here for it to grow so big and lush. I can only dream!
Good luck with your new one cflowr! Do you have other caudiciforms?

Davison, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes I've had one Adenium obesum for 2 years - it's in an 8" pot. And just bought pachpodiums succulentum & bispinosum. Also 2 more Adenium obesum unknown colors from my cousin just to have some from him. They are short and heavily branced in deep 6" pots.
And a pink with a lavender edge the ebay seller calls 'santa clause'. But it has narrow leaves in the picture. I haven't received that one yet. I think it may be a hybrid.
Oh and Adenium arabicum with a nice fat coudex and is already branched. Don't have pictures of most of these yet. But you should see the beautiful big uncarina I just received from Aridlands. It has at least 4 blossoms on it. I haven't taken a picture yet cause it's so wilted from traveling in a box. I put it in the shade outside in the humidity. The temp has been around 80. Not too hot in the shade. Probably similar temp and humidity as it had in the greenhouse.

Question about uncarina - I plan to bring all my other caudiciforms into the basement under lights and in front of a large south window for the fall and winter. Temp about 60 degrees rather than keep them in a warmer place, so to get more buds in the spring. Do you know the minimum temp for uncarina? My basement temp might drop below 60 around January. The adenium obesum has been fine down there in fact sometimes it doesn't go completely dormant.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Just keep uncarina in the 40's or above and they will be OK. I keep my uncarina out all year in Bradenton, Fl. and yes it can get cold in the winter. They have seen temps in the 30's and did not rot. Should be dry at this time.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, turtlewalker does what I do here in Phoenix. It can get cold as long as no frost. I keep it dry when dormant in winter also. Mine lose the leaves then.
Your conditions sound perfect, cflowr.

By the way, Helen, your plant is beautiful. Do you feed it to get so many flowers?

Yardley, PA

My Uncarina r. just loves the heat. We have been in a heat wave and they are pumping out blooms

Thumbnail by Sally0
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, my goodness, they are beautiful Sally! It is running 110 degrees here for days but mine is not blooming now. It is growing some nice leaves though.

Decatur, GA

I have been using dilute MG. It is in s/h so I fertilize often and water regularly.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Had to put my plants in the ground as they were getting to big.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Lets try that one more time.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342 Thumbnail by turtlewalker342 Thumbnail by turtlewalker342 Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

You are so lucky TW342 to be able to plant yours in the ground.

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous plants! My plant is around 3 y.o. and I'm so exited to get the first flowers!

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Yardley, PA

That is great Carpathiangirl

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks! it's even more exiting after seeing the potential of the plant. It seems to be rather long-lived, look at these huge specimens!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

It is so exciting to see the first flowers on a plant! They are beautiful!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

My plant is blooming again now. This is the first year it ever did that--bloom so late. I was pleasantly surprised.

Decatur, GA

Congrats Nancy.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Helen. Any of your caudiciforms doing anything? This forum needs some activity!

Decatur, GA

Nancy, I have brought most of my plants inside and they are settling down for their dormancy. Not very exciting but thanks for asking.
You can see one of my gourds and my little doggy, TBone, in the last picture. ^_^

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, you have lots of caudiciform type plants. Looks like most are in S-H. Do you water them when they are inside? You have many on a wooden table in the first picture. Love the beautiful gourd in pic #3 ... and you sweet little TBone. Are the big round items under the table in pic #1 gourds? Do you decorate them yourself?

Decatur, GA

I do have lots of plants. I restrained myself the past season and haven't bought anything new. I was getting so many I couldn't keep up with their care and everything was suffering. So I hope I can stay more focused now and work on maximizing the growth and heath of what I have at this time. If one of my plants dies (and we all know some will die along the way) I don't mourn so much because I figure I will need the room when another plant I have gets bigger!
TBone is a dear. He was 4yrs old when I rescued him. He is a Toy Fox Terrier and is around 8-9yr old now. Wonderful dog.
I do do gourd art. Now that I am retired I hope to have more time to devote to the hobby/craft.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.