Antique Rose...

Belton, TX

I have an Old Garden Rose...well several...but the one that will be trimmed is well over 100 years old. I got the original cutting from Kew Gardens by the curator. He told me the rose had been growing in Kew since sometime in the early to mid-1800s. It is an undocumented rose from an old (1600s) Church somewhere in either northern Ireland or Scotland. Records are sketchy.

The rose blooms a bright and brilliant red with a slight spicey fragrance. The blooms are approximately 2" in size and cover the long spans in the spring. The spans grow in 12' arches and blooms along the top of the spans. There is a good re-bloom in the fall, but it is secondary to the spring bloom. I believe the rose could be used on an arbor, pillar, or fence.

I have had the rose growing in central Texas since 1983 and it has survived our severe weather extremes with little to no impact. I trim regularly this time of year and provide fresh compost in February.

I will trade cuttings...prepared for rooting...either postage costs, plants I do not have or cuttings of miniature roses or hardy hibiscus that I do not have.

Please contact me directly. Thanks, MaryAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.