Your thoughts on these plants

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I'm late. But I'm finally planning a mail order. I'm am aware that some of my choices may be sold out but this is what I'm considering. I'm mail ordering from one nursery only and I'm choosing that one because I have a credit for some free plants because of photos that I allowed them to use. I DO also have an excellent hosta nursery 15 minutes away.

This is what I'm considering. I'd be very interested in your collective experience with any of these plants.

Alakazaam PPAF $16
Atom Smasher' $30
Baby Blue Eyes $15
Blue Mouse Ears Supreme' $45
Boyz Toy $16

'Cherry Tomato' $22
`Dancing Mouse' $25
`Dorset Clown' $55
`Foxfire Palm Sunday' PPAF $50
'Frisian Pride' $40

'Hands Up' $25
'Lakeside Reflecting Glass' $75
'Little Jay' PP19539 $16
'Little Stiffy' $15
'Moulin Rouge' $40

`Mouse Tracks' $40
`Nancy' $18
'Outrageous' $60
'Pixie Vamp' $20
`Rosedale Blend Master' $55

`Sparkler' $20
'Stand by Me' $25
'Well Shaked' $65
'Wheee!' PPAF $25
`Whoopee' $60

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I don't have any personal experience with these, but I keep hearing and seeing great things about Nancy. It looks like a really nice, bright hosta. Please let us now what you end up getting =)

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I have heard good things about Nancy also and do have it on my list. I have Baby Blue Eyes and no problems so far, just a nice little Hosta, should be more blue at certain times of year but I believe it is getting too much sun. I will probably move it later or next spring. Slugs don't pay no attention to it. :)
This picture is from last year, will take more later.

Thumbnail by virginiarose
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

On the recommendation of someone on another chat list, I'm eliminating 'Little Jay', I have 'Little Treasure' which reportedly grows much better and I've lost one 'Little Jay' already (albeit it was a VERY tiny division). Am also moving the BME sports near the bottom of the list.

Ottawa, Canada

ViolaAnn,

'Nancy' is a must have. It's starting into its third year in my garden and I love it. Beautiful form, nice and shiny, excellent substance - everything a hosta should and can be. Mine is growing well despite shallow root competition from weeping spruce trees. I'd take a picture but it's raining hard outside. Noreaster posted a fine potted specimen just a while ago.

Virginia Beach, VA

I have Nancy and it is beautiful with the striking yellow. I wish I can a picture but i am having issues with my camera. I had not given me a baby yet. some of your choices are too pricey for me.

Bellie

Ottawa, Canada

My 'Dorset Clown' was planted at the beginning of August last year and it came back whereas only one of my 'Lakeside Paisley Print' returned.

'Pixie Vamp' was planted in my mini garden toward the end of last summer and with the weird spring we had, it was struggling until I covered some bare roots and started watering religously.

Yes, my 'Little Treasure' also appears to be more robust than 'Little Jay'; however, LJ is still holding on after being split and moved to a shadier location. Moving it may not have been the wisest thing to do considering that it has very little green to the leaf.

My 'Cherry Tomato' is either reverting or sporting. I examined the eyes in question and the smaller leaves attached to the base of the eyes appear to be CT leaves. The plant appears to be vigorous and has a nice form without the sporting eyes but I found that the scapes were out of proportion to the rest of the plant. I much prefer 'Sunlight Child', a rich yellow, and its purple flowers on well proportioned scapes.

Wyoming, MN

Pixie Vamp is one of my favorites. She has really done well and maintains a nice mound shape and has somewhat crinkled leaf edges. The leaf shape, due to the crinkles,remind me of a holly leaf. She is going on her third year here.

Gary

Ottawa, Canada

It stopped raining. Here's MY 'Nancy' with 'Tick Tock' at 3 o'clock and the 'Ani Machi' division I got from you last year at 9 o'clock. The heuchera is one of three 'Mocha' surrounding AM.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

They all look great. Nice to see AM doing well.

Ottawa, Canada

I got 'Dorset Clown' at the beginning of August last year from Rideau Woodland Ramble. This is one eye.

Thumbnail by irawon
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Whoopee and Wheee are doing very well in my yard.

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm not really happy with 'Hand's Up'. I like 'Electrocution' much better. Got both of them last year.

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Virginia Beach, VA

Rose,
the 2nd pix is like praying hands.
Bellie

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

It does resemble Praying Hands, but it's a WHOLE lot smaller! I got it last year from Naylor Creek, so I'm sure that it's Hands Up. What I'm not sure about is how long it's gonna survive for me. It looks smaller than the last picture that I took of it.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Rose, Love that Whoopee, and Wheee looks like it is having a good time!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Great pics. Keep them coming and the comments help too. Thank you.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ann,

the only one out of your list that i have is Mouse Tracks. I paid $50 US in an auction on the "library"

In a thread that we did last year, you even commented on how so many "mice" tend to look a like.

I can take a current image if you'd like, so you can see what I have. Got it last summer from Walter's Garden.

It's a cutie though... as you know, with all the other "mice".

I think I got 1 eye and it's at least 2 if not 3.... i'd have to check .

Terese

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I loved my little stiffy but it didn't make the winter (I had it in a container and the other minis with it made it). I was sad to not have it reappear. That's the only one on your list that I have or should say had..... That's an awesome list. Lucky you.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Terese - at this oint, I've eliminated 'Little Jay' and moved the BME sports way down to the bottom. Those sports DO all look alike and once you've got about 7 or 8 like I do, i've likely got all the colour options covered. I guess it just gets to be COLLECTING them that's part of the game.

Anyway, I'm running out of space. I DID divide up 'Obsession' and took it all to the local hort society sale tonight, I've never been "Obessed" with it. So, beaux, I won't be getting all of them by any means. But I've got a couple freebies coming and will choose a few more to make the order worthwhile.

For now, I've made a chart with the name of each hosta and I'm putting an ↑ or ↓ depending on the comments people make.

Ottawa, Canada

ViolaAnn, only two eyes of 'Pixie Vamp' survived because I didn't start to water my minis early enough. It looks as though it will be really nice in time with a bit of TLC. Looking at this picture a little closer it appears that a few more eyes are recovering at the bottom of the plant.

This message was edited May 23, 2012 10:06 AM

Thumbnail by irawon
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I forgot to mention that I have Dancing Mouse, and it's different from all the others. I got it last year and it's looking really nice this year. I'd put it on my list if I were looking for minis!

Thumbnail by Rose1656
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

It sure is a pretty little thing! :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ann-- here is my Mouse Tracks

And my small group of "Mice"

Thumbnail by tcs1366 Thumbnail by tcs1366
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, I've bought 2 - `Sparkler' and 'Whee' at my local nursery. And I eliminated one once I saw it, but can' remember until I get my list near the computer. Will now decide what I'm going to order.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The winners are:
'Dorset Clown'
'Frisian Pride'
'Hands Up'
Lakeside Reflecting Glass'
'Stand By Me'

Ottawa, Canada

I'm looking forward to seeing those hostas when you get them. I hope you include 'Nancy' in your next order.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I was going to buy 'Nancy' from Budd's but they are sold out. Saw him this morning at the Montreal Botanical Garden (O Hort. Society day trip) and he says his entire stock of 'Nancy' is depleted and he doesn't expect to have more. I'll have to order it next year, I guess.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.