Milky way trail query

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I was wondering if anyone else growing Milky way trail (the semi miniature) has had any changes in the bloom color?

I have been growing this plant for awhile, always bloomed white. I gave a cutting to another member and hers changed from white to light pink. She said she gave a cutting of it (after it had grown out to a bigger plant) to her daughter and her daughters blooms white. She gave me a pink cutting and comparing it to my milky way, the leaves look the same.

Okay, I've been using tomato fertilizer and one of the cutting I took of my milkyway trail ... well rooted now has bloomed white with some pink....not chimera...too bad. A couple years ago I used tomato fertilizer and I did have some plants bloom colors change some, so that might be with this rooted cutting. I think I will not use it on my white milky way!...I do want it to stay white!

Just wondering!....tish

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hey Tish!

Although I'm not growing 'Milky Way Trail', I'm also using tomato fertilizer. MiracleGro Tomato, to be precise.

In none of my Gesneriads (or other plants for that matter) have I been able to detect a change in bloom color. However, the hard and mineral rich Lake Michigan water here in Chicago (pH usually 7.8-8.5) could have something to do with that...

Tomato fertilizer is usually slightly acidic and it's possible that a change of soil-pH can result in a change of bloom color. A well known example for this would be Hydrangeas.

I hope, that helped...

Olaf

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Olaf...I didn't think of ph.

tish

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

You're welcome, Tish!

It's just an assumption, however... :)

Olaf

Montgomery, AL

Hi Tish,
My Milky Way is still young, but recently put out lots of small, white, and pale pinkish-white blooms.
Jamie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.