Question about shipping on the LA

South Bend, IN

I'm curious. I was looking through the LA for some plants to send to my mother for her birthday. She lives in Southern California. Is there a reason some sellers will not ship to CA?

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

There are restrictions in Arizona, California, and some other states about imported plants. Check with California Dept. of Agriculture on restrictions on daylilies.
Dick

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

Yes, as Dick said, there are restrictions on shipping plants to certain states and California is one that has a lot of regulations. The sellers have to get a nursery license plus get tested for nematodes and fire ants, which can be extremely expensive if you have a large growing area. For a 4' x 20' area it's $50 here for the nematode testing, so multiply that by lots of beds or daylilies grown in lots of different areas of the garden. Then theirs the paperwork to fill out. This is done yearly and can be costly to a small time grower. Depending on the inspector following the regulations to the T, it states plants are to be grown either 12" or 18" off the ground on concrete platforms and a lot of other requirements.

Shipping to California is also more expensive if you are shipping from a certain part of the US, not sure where the line is where it goes up. I have shipped a package to CA that was $38 in shipping but if shipped elsewhere it would have been around $17 or so.

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

I have had nematode testing (negative) and we don't have fire ants in Ohio (thank God), so I do ship to Cal.
Dick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.