Clem babies from Bluestone

Sherrill, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone! I just received 3 baby clems from Bluestone Perennials. They arrived healthy but small and I know I need to grow them on awhile. They came in these biodegradeable pots which seem to have already degraded pretty much already! I was thinking of potting them into some black plastic gallon sized pots that I have. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to care for these babies?

I got Venosa Violacea, Avant-Garde, and Princess Diana for $6.00-$7.47 a piece .

Thanks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Use a mix of manure and compost with some bonemeal and water crystals (reconstituted), then put the plant in the pot atop the mix of ingredients and cover with another 3" of manure and compost. Please mulch it well with 3" of your favorite mulch. Water it thoroughly but don't keep the pot drenching wet. It's a sure way to kill the clematises.

Black pots will dry out faster than lighter colors so keep and eye on them to be sure they have water but not to excess.

Take photos when you can. We'd love to see them.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I got a Clematis from Bluestone last year. I planted it directly in the ground. It got huge and bloomed the first year. There is no need to baby them. They are tough plants.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

On the other hand, I'm used to growing clematis for the last 20 years and Bluestone's were the most difficult for me.

In zone 5a Mary is well advised to keep them potted for the first year to give them the best chance for success.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I can post a photo of it. It's HUGE. I was so impressed with their Clematis that I just ordered another Rosemoor for my mom. They sent these two fertilizer pills. I added my own compost to the soil, etc. I just think these do better in the ground than in a pot. I've been growing them for 30 years and never met one that grew better in a pot. When you grow in a pot you are more likely to over water and so on.

This message was edited May 20, 2012 7:06 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.