CLOSED: § 2012 RED, WHITE & BLUE§ Patriotic Showcase 1

Pacifica, CA

i got my box oh mary thank you so much i love it too cute!

Thumbnail by lizrainey
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I am glad you like it. I thought it was adorable and could think of so many uses for it.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Wow!! Mary, you're on the ball.
First name on the board gets the first gift! Thanks Mary.

Liz, that's a mighty handsome garden gnome.
I can think of one good use. Tell Kenny that if he misbehave, his behind would be feeling that wheelbarrow!
Liz, did you make that patchwork quilt in the background? Don't know you're into quilting as well.

Yep, Betty's ultra talented Synda. That linoleum is beautiful Betty. I recalled one year you've asked me whether a certain mat looks alright, and my eyes failed to catch the misspelling, but you thank God, had!! Lol..

Patti, I hope you can make it to Betty's.

Thunder, yes it's a Camarro!!! AMERICAN made of course!
Like Betty, I finished some quilts in sections too.. yep.. not the normal block by block QAYG.
Except for the last border and binding. That got to be a continous finish for me.

Robin, what a great suggestion for Thunder! Saw tooth border or a spacer type border http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techniques/finishing/spacer-borders_2.html
Yes to Sean Connery too. I couldn't get enough of his 007 movies when I was a kid.

Back to gnomes, Kel just reminded me that I have a large collection of Tom Clark gnomes that stand besides some frogs indoors!

This message was edited May 25, 2012 9:56 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Pacifica, CA

good idea Jaye! he is always up to something lol

no i got that at a estate sale got to finish it, i do quilt but i start noising around and see different patterns and start lots of projects but never finish but im working on that!

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Love that garden gnome Liz! He is so cute!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i didnt get no pressie :(

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Thumbnail by taters55
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

If you have UFOs (unfinished quilts as they're called) you're certainly a normal quilter Liz! Lol!!

Sis Kathy, don't hurry perfection :P The mailing out date is two weeks from now.
You must have sent out your buddy's huh?

Thumbnail by heavenscape
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Salute to those who serve, and to their families too.
Our freedom hinges on their sacrifice.

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Happy Memorial Day to everyone. God Bless Everyone and especially all who serve now and all those that served in the past. Please God, pass along big Hugs and Thanks to all who gave their lives for our freedom.

Thumbnail by Robynznest Thumbnail by Robynznest Thumbnail by Robynznest

Robyn, what do you put on the back of your plates to hold the rebar? They are so pretty!

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, LK. I used hockey pucks . I drill out the hole then kind of warble the edge a little cause when you pound on the stakes it puts a sharp edge on the rebar so it helps to get it started into the hole. I used E6000 on the puck and before I stick it on the plate I put an outdoor clear silicone for the outside edge so the glue isn't compromised.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm going to be a last minute sender. We are going to the county fair on the 3rd and I want to wait until after that to make sure I don't miss something that must go in the box. For some reason, the stores here still don't have alot of RWB stuff. Hope they get one the ball soon.

Thanks for the info Robyn!

I may have to send two boxes, if I don't stop picking up RWB items!

This message was edited May 26, 2012 7:52 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Is it coming Cross the border LindaKay?? Lol

Now you know I can't spoil the fun Betty!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks for being in the spirit, and sharing Robin. What a window treatment!
Pegi (Samigal) has been recommending E6000 too for gluing strength.

Robyn, you're not alone. Every swaps have those last minute senders! I'm guilty of that, and I'm the hostess... right Betty ?
Hope you'd find the perfect gift for your buddy.

Ahh, part of the joy of being an addicted swapper like LK here. Always finding more stuffs to include and worry about packaging later!!

Darn right Betty. LK doesn't have to tell you anything, knowing you, a list has already been started and you had crossed out Mary's name!!

Good Saturday to be out there shopping ladies.
May the RWB force be with you!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Y'all are chatterboxes! I think I'm finally caught up.

Blessed Memorial Day to all. Please remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, and those who are still with us.

Thumbnail by careyana
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Special rememberance to those MIAs.

It's been one busy day in town today. Bikes, bikes everywhere. It's Memorial Bikers' Weekend at Myrtle Beach, and many go through this town.
Lola, doesn't care for the sound of any bike, and she kept growling all the time she was in the truck! That chi was ready to attack any burly biker!
Unfortunately, it's not a Harley Davidson rally, and we see many 'rice burners'. Good thing that there are made in USA Hondas!

Hope everyone have a safe weekend and if you're bbqing brisket, save some for me!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

One of our dear neighbors is a WWII Veteran and also has a birthday next week. Yesterday I made a Strawberry Shortcake for him, sugar & fat free. Now the trick is keeping hubby out of it until tomorrow. He's already eaten 1/2 the one I made for him at the same time.

Loving all the RWB pics!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Your neigbour is very blessed to have you for a neighbour. Has he shared his war experience with you, Susan?
I love to listen to veterans' stories. Many of these WW2 vets will share.
Unfortunately, my ex who served 2 tours in Vietnam pretty much clammed up each time I asked. He'd only talk to other Vietnam vets.

I hope your DH rewarded you with more plants for all that baking you did!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261043/

New swap just opened, come and check it out! Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Hope everyone's having a good celebration today, even you Betty.

This picture is all wrong!!
Look at the only man standing to show some respect to our servicemen in the parade. And he's in a wheelchair!

Thumbnail by heavenscape
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

And this cartoon says a lot.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Pretty sad how they ge no respect!
I personally salute each and everyone, as well as give my thanks to them!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

There was this guy, whom I met at WM. He's 85 looking for some upholstery fabric. He's a friendly chap, and started asking where I'm from.
Turned out his curiosity was because he thought I'm from the Phillipines. He was there for WW2.
I shook his hand, LK. Thanked him, and it kinda surprised the young sales girl whom I'm sure had never met a WW2 vet.
I hope she learnt the value of a soldier's sacrifice.

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

This weekend is very busy for Rick and my Brother Shawn (the GOOD Brother) ,Rick has been getting the fire trucks all polished up pretty for the parade tomorrow and Shawn is head of the Veterans Administration here so he has had to go to all of the graves and put Flags and then had meetings at the VFW and he did a tour in Iraq. And on top of all that Rick and Shawn built my niece Whitney a chicken coop for her 4-H chickens .

May you all have a very Safe and Happy Holiday Weekend ~ ♥

Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda

Your WM still has a fabric department? The powers-that-be did away with ours when the store was 'improved'. Now the space where it used to be is full of more electronics. It's always a pleasure talking to my elders, not family since they're gone, but neighbors and the kind gent you met.

Oh I got weepy just watching the opening ceremony of tonight's race in Charlotte. It was quite touching with an enormous Flag unfurled and every branch of our Military present. I looked at the young soldiers and thought how they're fighting for me and our freedom. If you missed it, Darrell Waltrip said the prayer, bagpipers from one of the local fire departments played 'Amazing Grace', then a trumpeteer gave a rendition of 'Taps' followed by a presentation of arms, and Darius Rucker sang our National Anthem. I was a goner at Amazing Grace since that was my Mom's favorite hymn and the only song we sang at her graveside service.

My Dad was a WWII Vet and served in the Pacific Arena in Japan on a tiny ship where he was the cook and one of the look-out men at night.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

~ ♥ ~

Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda Thumbnail by synda
(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

Fruity,

There are two WM here and both of them have their fabric department. I was told by a lady who worked in one that if "your" WM got enough protests they would keep them open. The only other fabric store is JoAnn's.

Happy Birthday, Cindy! I hope it was a good day for you. The closest JoAnn's or any similar craft / fabric store is almost an hour away, no matter which direction, and is just one of the many pitfalls living in the boonies.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks Fruity ^_^

Our Wal Mart got rid of the fabric dept, but brought it back a few months ago. Not a huge selection, but better than nothing!

This message was edited May 27, 2012 9:18 PM

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Soldier, Stand At Ease
There must be a special place in heaven,
where young and brave men go.
Who have found “a soldier’s resting place
beneath a soldier’s blow.”

A place where Napoleon’s cavalry
still proudly guards the flanks,
and drummers sound the victory roll,
as they pass solemnly through the ranks.

Their campfires are a million stars,
that shine throughout the night.
Where they sit cross legged and proudly tell,
the tale of their last fight.

Their tales would make a strong man weep,
but to them each tale doth please.
For a comrade has borne his Final pain,
and now may stand at ease.
-------------------------------------
Written by Mark Hamilton, West Point Class of ‘67
upon the death of my beloved cousin,
Lt. Swante A. Swenson, killed in action in
Vietnam, January 11, 1968.

Thumbnail by synda
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thank you for sharing the pictures Synda. Thank your brother for his great service in Iraq for us, please.
May Rick's fire truck be the best looking one, and draw squeals from the crowd!
Thanks for the poem...

Susan, I'd be a basket case for that grand patriotic display. Amazing Grace is one of tune that would just make me tear up.
Our WM's fabric dept. had been restored again. Bigger and hence more to choose from. It also carries an array of high cost quilting fabric. Like Cindy said, if there's enough complains, it will return.
This area (the boonies) need a fabric store. Joann's, Hancock's and Hobby Lobby are two hours drive!!

May today be a pleasant day for your Memorial Parade.

This message was edited May 28, 2012 11:23 AM

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Sorry I missed your birthday Cindy, hope you had a good one.

We finally got a Joanns down in our area, instead of driving 90 miles to get to one I only have to drive 60 and through the worst, most annoying tourist area on top of it all. Guess I'm stuck with Walmart or the long drive.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I will be bringing a box to the PO tomorrow.....

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's one I made 15 years ago, (lol, but I am thinking it's the only one that is RWB). Attempted to get ya all a great pix today, I goofed tho, sorry. I was only about 30 miles from PIKE'S PEAK and took several photos. But I must have goofed as they weren't there when I was downloading. I will try again!!!!! Good thing I live close by, lol.

Happy birthday Cindy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Good morning.
Hope you ladies have the perfect Memorial weekend!

Robin, I always love the sound of bagpipes. That's an awesome rendition of Amazing Grace, sistah! Thank you.

Kathy, you got me drooling with that beautiful piece of work. Simply lovely. Love the design. Is it a table topper or a wall hanging? Absolutely patriotic!
Thank you for sharing. Again, you should resume quilting, we'll definitely learn something from you ^_^

In the picture, were Thunder's (BarefootT) gifts to Pegi (Samigal) last year. In the background, she had made a beautiful quilted RWB table runner!

While on the subject of quilting, it's ripping day for me today. Had machine quilted a design on one row and I stayed awake last night, regretting what I had done!
Plus it's such a beautiful day outside, perfect for playing in the garden and not to be confined indoors!

Enjoy your Tuesday fellow patriots!

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.