Guess a tree...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I saw these trees used as street trees in fairly new situation, Maryland, zone 7 ish. Their overall branching is one of a broadleaf tree but when I got close I saw that the leaves are flat, soft needles, lined up on each side of the twig kind of like yew. Whatcha think?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

No question - Indecipherabilia indistinguishii 'Transparentifolia'...

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Wollemia nobilis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57012/
They'll probably toast.

Technical difficulties, my apologies!

Thumbnail by sallyg
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Metasequoia glyptostroboides http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31760/
lovely tree.

Thumbnail by growin
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Metasequoia g.

Quote from ViburnumValley :
No question - Indecipherabilia indistinguishii 'Transparentifolia'...

Actually obvious it had to be either Metasequoia or Taxodium just from the description ;-)

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Not when sallyg is doing the asking...

I'd say neither of those species really resemble broadleaf trees in branching habit.

erg...suppose I could post a picture of overall tree to support my assertion, but naahhh, you don't care that much.
OK, the trunk was bare for five feet up before sending out branches, but could have been pruned that way to fit between sidewalks and street where they were planted, to look like shade trees and not block the pedestrian view...ok, I'll drop it.
I'm relieved to find it is a 'lovely' tree rather than a ' will be toast, propaganda carp' tree. Planted at the impressive campus of Anne Arundel Medical Center. A place that would seem to have the money for lovely trees among the fairly lovely landscaping and nice buildings.

Thanks for the ID.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Street Tree.
Lifting the sidewalk.

Thumbnail by growin Thumbnail by growin
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

All trees lift sidewalks with their roots - as trees get larger, the roots thicken up to support them, and that thickness has to go somewhere ;-)

Resin

That sure is lovely, growin.
The ones I saw were young, (recently planted enough that stakes were in place, though falling over) have even less free space for their roots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.