My Containers for 2012

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

a journey.
I recieved my RosyDawn order 2 days ago. As usual the plants are teriffic. This album is of the first phase. Plants look a bit thin but by late June things will fill out nicely. There are some annuals missing and a few Fuchsias yet to be shipped.
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a45314e7a67304f54413d0d0a&blogview=true

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

What a neat way to chronicle the progression of your plants. I'll eagerly be awaiting another view in late June or July. By then everything will be stunning.

Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks Martha. I am as eager as all o0f you.

Overland Park, KS(Zone 6a)

I am thinking of ordering from Rosy Dawn, although it may be too late.
I love coleus, and enjoy mixing all the colors!
Please keep us posted with pics of your containers!
Thanks!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just finished the last plants yesterday. Fuschias,its the first year I have used them.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

I agree with Martha, what a great way to watch the progression of your babies' lives! WOW you've sure got some wonderful Coleus there!! I'll be eager to watch their progression too! =)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Rosey Dawn 10 days later
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a45334d6a41304d54513d0d0a&blogview=true

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

Looking good!

Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thnx

Oh yes, it's all looking lovely and happy and healthy! =)

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Can I ask which variety coleus is in the lower right of tub # 2? I love it!

Rosy Dawn has such nice plants - I ordered 4 this year - Alabama Sunset, Beckwith's Gem, Golda and White Fingers. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I think thats Sedona.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks! Now I want Sedona.

Not to hijack your thread, but here are 3 of my RD's on the left, and Golda in the right pot with Dipt in Wine from a local big box store.

Thumbnail by denisemb
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They look in great shape

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

denisemb: OPPPPS not Sedona.Carrot Cake.

Ocala, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks, ge - Carrot Cake will be on my list for NEXT year. Looking forward to watching your plants develop. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

CarrotCake is a large variety.

You guys seriously need to stop sharing such gorgeous pictures, 'cause now I'm thinking I need.. no, NEED, more Coleus... along with the NEED for more Hostas.

.... you're a BAAAAD influence on me!! < =P

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love this hosta
Mister Watson

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is a teeny hosta in a container
Little nanna its behind the dianthus

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a album of the deck garden.There is another teeeny hosta in the xmastree pot"Cherish" I had to take it out of the garden.I kept stepping on it and the slugs love those lime green ones.
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a45344d446b344e7a633d0d0a&blogview=true

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just finished a design job for DD's GF. She did the hauling and filled the planters. I showed up with the plan and did the sticking.
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a45344f54417a4d6a593d0d0a&blogview=true

It's looking really nice!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

In 3 weeks there will be a huge difference

And you'll keep us posted with pictures, riiiiight!?! < =) (nodding "yes" as I ask that question). Heeheeheeee

I noticed on other pictures you shared, you've got these "pedestal" things that many of your pots sit on... it looks as though they're made of concrete... sort of hard to explain, but I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Where did you get those!? I have a few areas in mind where I could REALLY use something like that!! They look to be fabulously functional and they're very attractive!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I got lucky and a friend was in a victorian neighborhood where there was demolition going on.She scored one for me.They were a series of concrete posts part of a front door entryway.
I think they can be had at any re-purpose business. Its a matter of luckfinding them

This message was edited Jun 8, 2012 7:07 AM

Well, phooey!! < ;) Ok, I'll start looking around 'cause those look like MUST HAVES. I've got a concrete/statuary place really close to me, if I have to, I'll print one of your pics (with your permission, of course), and share it with them to see if they can make some for me. I've also got a "Pottery" place nearby that has all sorts of ... well, ... pottery (go figure!), and stuffs that go with pottery, they may carry something like this. I potted up 3 Lemon Grasses to put on my deck, and I really don't like them sitting **directly** on the deck, would be nice to give them some feet.

Thank you for the reply! Soooo, how're the babies doing now? Any new progress? =)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was out pixing the containers and realized I might have given you wrong info. There is a tall pedistal in the back of a group .It has a pot of reddish coleus .That is not the victorian pedestal I told you about.
That is a cera,ic sculpture. Its in this album. The Vic.Ped. is in that group but almost hidden.
https://plus.google.com/photos/118247922869033571662/albums/5752726771999655249

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Allison says the link doesnt work'Try this
https://plus.google.com/photos/118247922869033571662/albums/5752726771999655249?authkey=CPSe1JX51djhFA

Oh they're filling in soooooooo nicely!!!!!!!!! You've got such a wonderful array of plants, they all look so happy and healthy! =)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Tiny Ghost just opened today

Thumbnail by ge1836
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Joann, how do you decide which to put with what? I guess what I'm really asking is do you have a picture in your mind of what the filled out, finished planter will look like before you start, or do you just assemble stuff you like and see what looks good together? I've wanted to write an article about mixed containers forever but the way *I* do it is so haphazard, it could hardly qualify as instructions!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

ge, loved your smilebox. Your containers are gorgeous. Do you move them as I do as the sun gets stronger in the high summer heat?

Some of my containers have not filled in yet, but they're the only things with color once the peonies and irises are done. Once the lilies and bee balm open, the dahlias will soon follow, and some of the containers will go to an eastern exposure. The biggest problems have been both bulbs/corms and small plants that are constantly being stirred up shortly after planting. For some crazy reason there is no end to the chipmunks and squirrels and that darn wabbit. I've tried blood meal, cracked pepper and more, but to no avail, but I still have the best control in containers.

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cathy! I move them as they fill and spill over.I dont mind intermingles in the garden but I like my containers to have a bit of space so each stands out.

carrilamont: designing and choosing plants for containers is my winter job. I do visualize what I want and widen my inner screen to include a grouping.
Coleus are the main plant in nearly all my planters.I have files of pictures on my computer and go to them when doing a virtual arrangment.I use Picasa ( collage ) to combine colors.

Its not as casual as it looks.I really plan hard and keep files and records of all kinds of plants and flowers. I figured thats what the "My Pictures" folder was for.lol

I have been adding perennials to containers the past 3 years so the need for annuals is deminishing.
I live with DD,She has a friend whose husband is a farmer and they go to the farm market so DD buys annuals from them,I keep my annual population down because we live together and she loves flowers and loves her containers so that arrangement suites us both.
HOWEVER, I dont get to choose the colors she buys and there are intermingled some visuals that arent exactly what I would have chosen.

I am the mother so I say nothing. Somehow the containers look great every year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Isnt this beautiful.Gift from a friend.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Yes! Polly, you also have lots of great containers.

Cathy: HAIR!!!!!!! < =D Yes Ma'am, hair has been a GREAT squirrel deterrent for me, including in my containers!!! I was actually outside in the back yard yesterday, watching a squirrel saunter (yes, SAUNTER) over the fence from the back neighbor's yard; he nosed around in my pots on the benches back there, in the trellis planters, but all he did was peek around, he didn't touch anything, just looked and sniffed, then hopped up into the bird bath for a nice long drink. Back up the fence and away he went, without digging in ONE single thing. I've got hair in ALL of my planting areas, and it really seems to be working. I used to have the WORST problem with squirrels EVERYWHERE I tried to grow anything, but not anymore; I put hair EVERYWHERE. I used to plop a few containers here and there out front in the big bed, and would find them dug out all over the place, but not anymore! Wheeeee!!!!! Oh, and by the way, WOW what beautiful containers you've got there! =)

Polly, I want to thank you for the BRILLIANT idea of pot feet!! I spent some time on Friday looking through Commerce's order book at work, and I think I've talked Boss Lady into ordering a few different types of them... namely for ME! < =D Now we'll just see when we order them. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.