Iceberg lettuce in containers

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, I live in the country and there are a lot of critters that will eat the lettuce if I put it in the garden, this is my first year to try Iceberg lettuce, so I have questions.
1. can I grow it in large window boxes.
I know that it will need full sun, and plenty or water and food, I am ready for that. but to keep the critters away , I thought a few boxes off the ground would work, any suggestions

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

annabell15

I have found that you can grow that pretty much anywhere as long as you have good container soil/nutrients/water and sunshine. Go for it, it never hurts to give something a try. Then when you get going come share (pictures) your experiences with us.

Jan

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

This isn't iceberg, but here's a picture of lettuce I am growing in an old metal colander. And that's exactly why I do it, I perch it up high enough to keep it from the bunnies. It's sitting on an inverted plastic pot.

Thumbnail by cindyeo
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

cindyeo

I love your lettuce colander container it is beautiful and very practical in that it is higher up so you don't have to bend as far over.

thanks for sharing.

Jan

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I cannot speak for iceberg, but you can grow leaf lettuce just about anywhere, even in the house. These plants are mostly water, so don't forget to give them daily drinks.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

In pot and growing, thanks

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Will try Iceberg lettuce next year, the heat and lack of rain did me in, all of the watering etc, didn't help the poor lettuce. Seems the weather had a great effect on the way the lettuce grew, went to bolt instead of head.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Annabelle, are you particularly wanting to grow ICEBERG vs. other types?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I grow leaf, but this year I wanted to try iceberg. with the weird weather we have had it didn't do well, so I'll try again next year

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish I could find one that size, oh I just love that.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.