Mounding Moonflower?

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

I was given some moonflower seeds that supposedly grow in a mounding fashion. I am familiar only with the vining type. Has anyone heard of a moonflower that stays in a clump or mound?

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

No, but I have seen wild morning glories do a somewhat mound if there was nothing to climb on. luciee {;^)

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

And then they take over the world?

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

YES!! Luciee {;^)

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

OK...that settles it. These seeds are history.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Moonflower vine is ipomea, related to morning glories. Moonflower bush is Datura, a tropical shrub. They are both annuals in the colder zones. Morning glories re-sow, but I've never had the moonflower vine do it. The moonflowers are worth it to me, in both cases.

Pam

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo

Dont pitch em !

Send to me.

Any vine that has nowhere to climb will mound.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll try starting some in a pot and see what happens. I just remembered when I planted some blue morning glories around a brick pillar. I thought the pillar would come crashing down under the massive vines. I had morning glories coming up everywhere when I tore the vines down. I can deal with a Datura-type plant. Thanks for the correct ID!

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

BajaBlue: D-mail me your address and I'll send you some seeds.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I'm glad that helped! BTW, the vine doesn't grow the way same as regular MGs. The leaves are much bigger, and the flower is huge, usually only one or two at a time. They are much later to bloom, fragrant, bloom usually at night and the effect is glorious, especially against a dark background.

Pam

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Pam. I appreciate your explanation of the difference between the two. I just started some moonflower seeds earlier this evening, and I'm looking forward to watching them bloom up a pillar in front of my pond. I'm glad I checked here before throwing them away.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I grow moonflower plant, Datura meteloides, every year. Sometimes, it returns from the root. It gets huge. I do enjoy it's beauty and fragrance. To me, it looks tropical. It's extremely easy to care for as I do nothing to it--no water, no weeding--not good soil--nothing. It re-seeds every year. I never plant it. The seeds are in a prickly pod that breaks open with lots of disc like seeds.
One year, I grew two kinds of morning glory, Impomea 'alba' that bloom at night and then, a white morning glory that bloomed in the AM so I had white blooming flowers on my arch all day long. I did not like it as the night blooming morning glory was so aggressive I could hardly get under the arch to walk to my back yard garage door.
I have morning glories coming up everywhere every year. I try to keep them in check. If one excapes my vision, they produce way too many seeds. To me, the Datura is easy to control, and the morning glory is a weed.
"Impomea" is also sweet potato vine and cypress vine.

Sidney, OH(Zone 6a)

I remember planting blue morning glories several years ago. Like yours, they were extremely aggressive. They were planted next to a tall brick pillar with a globe light on top. They actually grew under the glass globe and almost knocked it off! Never again. I'm glad Moonflower doesn't share its cousin's nasty growth habits.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.