moving tulips

Chaska, MN(Zone 4a)

What is the best way to go about moving tulips? I re-did all my gardens last year, dug up and moved EVERY perennial and in the process tilled the beds. I assumed I would lose my tulips... but I've found that is not the case. However, many of them are coming up where I would not want them. They are done blooming, so I have deadheaded. Usually I leave the green to "feed" for next year. But if I wait to long they will disappear and I will have the same problem next year. I know tulips are usually planted in the fall. If I dig them now... where should I store them till fall? Or can I dig and move all at once?
Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like you do not have much to lose, move them now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tie them together like garlic or onions, or hang them in a potato bag ,say in the garage or garden shed. If not and you replant them before they have stored bulb energy for next season all that is likely to happen is a smaller bloom or two.I moved some hyacinths that way and never bothered them a bit, no difference.Although, I have lost a tulip or two doing that.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi hillabeans,
Your question reminded me of a thread I read a while ago on moving bulbs. Tabasco talked about moving them while the foliage is green (apparently common in the UK) and listed a couple of very good links. I found the thread. Below is the link. Maybe this will be of some help.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1082157/?hl=moving+bulbs+while+green

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.