Clematis texensis

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

My seed grown leatherleaf is looking good....about 5th yr from seed. I planted it in this location to ramble thur my big oak leaf hydrangea but unfortunately the hydragea died in last summer's heat and drought

Thumbnail by bigred
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Sweet flower! Love the color.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

This is it's second flush of blooms.

What a difference just one zone makes. Most of our clematises are on their first flush with the exception of macropetala Pauline that started in mid April.

Thumbnail by pirl

I'll try for the photo again...

Thumbnail by pirl
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

That's a lovely one too.
I grew c.vironia(sp?) from seed too but it's only a couple years old so I still have it in a pot as well as c.fremonti. I haven't had much luck with named cultivars.

Maybe we all have good luck with some plants and don't do well with others. Ours enjoy a lot of manure and compost along with 3" of mulch to keep the roots cool. I add reconstituted water crystals when planting them and then they always have access to water.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

yes...I've murdered my fair share of plants

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I have this species growing on my fence here in zone 4 and it's been doing well for about 5 years. It's a bit too early to say how prolific it will be this year, but it went wild last year. I've never heard the term leather-leaf before. Any stories behind that?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I believe it's called that due to the thickness and texture of it's petals.

This is the 3 rd. in the ground for mine(couple of years in pot from seed so 5 yrs old) and has really put on some growth this year.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

How sweet! I want to try an grow texensis from seed and glad to see you have had success

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Is 'Princess Diana' Clematis a hybrid of this? It's similar in a way.

Thanks! I knew they had to be kin to each other. I like the way this one has the "fatter" bell-shaped blooms!

Princess Diana is a hybrid. I have both on my fence and I think Diana is more prolific than the species. Having said that, please remember these plants received no care for the past four years. It will be interesting to see if the species blooms more this year after some TLC.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'd love to have some of the hybrids w/ big blooms but some how I kill everyone of them. I have a couple more natives...c.viriona and c.fremontii(?will have to check that spelling)I grew from seed but they're not quite big enough to go out in the ground yet. The one I wished I didn't have...or could get under control,is sweet autumn. It re-seeds everywhere. I try to get it cut back after bloom season before seeds are shed but I still find seedlings in everything.

Do you think it's the heat where you live? Maybe if you tried some of the more shade loving vines. I'm planting Silver Moon this year next to Claire de Lune which has been limping along for the past several years on the north side of my garage. The area only gets a few hours of sun. This year the Claire de Lune looks better so I think it just takes some time for it to get going. Both plants are suppose to tolerate some shade.

Sweet Autumn has that reputation. I'm surprised it's legal in Arizona. Another small flowered clematis that might do well for you is Engelina or My Angel.

I would keep on trying to find a large flowered clematis. They are just so worth suffering for. You could email Debbie at Silver Star and ask for some advice. She might know of a few that are heat tolerant.

It's hot here too. 'Rosemoor' is the best. Plant where it gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Mine blooms all summer through fall.

This message was edited May 31, 2012 11:21 AM

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.