Information about the Lily Auction

Wynnburg, United States

Hi:) I was wanting to see if any of you could give me some advice about the Lily Auction. I have been buying from Ebay for years and have seen many threads where you all shop the Lily Auction and I signed up today but have received an e-mail saying they are having trouble confirming my address and need me to attach a copy of my driver's license or a copy of a utility bill....does anyone know if this is standard procedure? I am not comfortable with doing that at all and just thought it was odd...any input would be greatly appreciated...I mainly wonder if it is safe and if the site is better than ebay. As of now, I am just content with doing my shopping on ebay but wanted to get some opinions from those who use the Lily Auction.
Thanks, Terry

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

I can tell you that the Lily Auction is a safe and legitimate site. I have been buying there since 2008 and have always been happy with the services provided by the site. Mike Longo runs a tight ship and takes great care that the buyers and sellers are satisfied to the best of his ability. (ie Buyers get what they paid for and sellers get paid.)

I can tell you that was not the policy when I started. I just had to verify that I was a real person with a real Email address. I think what you have been asked to do is because there were some problems with people signing up that were not "real" buyers/sellers.

I do know that others here have signed up more recently and hopefully that can chime in with better/more recent info.

This message was edited May 11, 2012 4:59 AM

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

It is standard practice if.....

your email address is one from a public domain such as yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc

they could not pull up the address or phone with you listed. When I was with my fiance there was no public record that I lived there, it showed him, his ex-wife, and her son as listed at that address and the phone was in his name. Also, where I'm at now I rent and the address shows up in the landlords name plus I have no landline phone in my name so that can't be verified. I had to send in either my DL or a bill with my name and address listed.

There are scammers EVERYWHERE and this is to protect the buyers and sellers. There have been buyers who try and scam the sellers. They also will buy and buy and buy then never pay. This hurts the sellers because the sellers get charged a listing fee and a fee for the sold ones (they get refunded if it's reported in time that the buyer didn't pay). The seller is also out money from this daylily sitting around waiting to be paid for when it could have been sold to a legit buyer. The seller then has to relist the item and such.
This is to protect the buyers from bad sellers. Anyone can join ebay with any info they want to give or at least when I joined you could. There have been a lot of higher dollar daylilies sold on ebay that turn out to be ditchlilies when they bloomed 1-2 years later and of course the seller is no where to be found and ebay can't do anything about it.

Mike Longo (auction owner) tries his best to keep everyone safe on the auction. He is not going to give out or sell your personal info or do anything else with it except verify you are who you say you are. He tries to help solve any issues that may occur as quickly as possible where both parties are happy. You can email him and ask him what the reason is you need to send the info in; why you couldn't be verified the other way. He has personally called other people who have had issues with this to explain the situation.

I am a buyer and a seller on the lily auction and I really appreciate the fact that Mike does this.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish i new how to find that list we all made one time of all the sellers on the LA and their LA names.

This message was edited May 11, 2012 3:51 PM

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

Here is the link to the thread about sellers and hybridizers on the LA. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/949876/

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

thank you thank you

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

You are welcome :-) It happens to be one that I have tagged.

Wynnburg, United States

Thanks for the info...It just makes me nervous to send anyone (even people I know) all of that personal information...I understand there are scammers everywhere. I will take the info given to me and make a decision, you have been a great help:)

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

To address what Tink said, the Email address I used when I registered was my earthlink account, so that could explain why my experience was different.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

See ya there!
I love it when I see my Daves or ATP friends bidding. Vindication :-O

Oskaloosa, IA(Zone 5a)

how do you tag a comment? I would like to tag the ids of people on lily auction, but I am not sure how to do it

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

On the left side where you user ID is, under the date and time of the post you will see something that loos like this: Post #9121460 (different number for each post). Click on it and it will open as a new window. You can tag it the same way that you tag a whole thread by clicking on the file folder in the upper right hand corner of the screen

Thumbnail by DitchLily206

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.