Clematis integrifolia? E-Z to grow??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello again, Clematis fanciers,

I'm back at gardening after a hiatus and hope I didn't miss much. Of course, to get back into the swing of it today I went garden hopping and saw a Clematis I would love to have. Of course it had no label and no one knew much about it- I did a little research though and I think it is a Clematis integrifolia.

This C. had a monarch blue flower--the blossom kind of folded over on itself (not open like most of the C.s pictured on DG.) and the interesting thing to me was it wasn't a vine but rather several straight stems coming out of the soil with the pendulous blooms hanging off them. It seemed to be growing under a tree (shade plant?). I would have thought it was an tall aquilegia but the gardener insisted it was a clematis.

I would like to grow this in a perennial border (along with digitalis, salvia and peonies) so I definitely don't want to mistakenly order a vine-y version. And I would like whatever one I choose to grow in 6a (Ohio).

So, does anyone have knowledge of these particular clematis? And if so, could you please share the names of some cultivars that my fit my needs?

(I tried to look these up in plant files but didn't get very good results, so sorry in advance if this is a bother.)

I've enjoyed looking through all your pics on the C. forum--you are all growing some beauties.

Thx. t.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's Rooguchi, Teresa: http://www.songsparrow.com/2012/plantdetails.cfm?ID=42&type=CLE,&pagetype=plantdetails&plant_name=integrifolia%20'Rooguchi'

You can search Silver Star Vinery, Brushwood Nursery, Garden Crossings and find more (I hope).

There's also Hummingbird Nurseries in Maine and they specialize in cold hardy clematises.

Have fun looking.

Arlene

Clematis integrifolia are non-vining. Mine gets to maybe two and a half feet tall I use a support or it will flop on its neighbors. There are different varietys, some of the newer ones may be shorter than mine which has been here for years. Do a google search for clematis intergrifolia on google for more information.

Clematis roguchi is vining I also have it growing in my garden although it does have bell shaped flowers.

Much more on Rooguchi here: http://plantlust.com/plants/clematis-integrifolia-rooguchi/

Teresa - here's more from Hummingbird Farms:

The Integrifolia Hybrids

C. integrifolia and its hybrids are non-climbing clematis; they will sprawl unless provided with support. Most grow 3 to 4 feet tall and usually have the downward facing bell shaped flowers. Many varieties are fragrant, especially when planted in full sun. They are virtually wilt free, although they are sometimes prone to powdery mildew.

Photos and more information at the bottom of this page:
http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis.htm

Athens, PA

Teresa

I have several of the integrifolias and just received 3 more from Brushwood last week that I need to plant. I love the integrifolias and for a number of reasons. The bell shaped flowers draw my interest as well as the plant crawling on my garden floor. I also have Rugoochi and I have to tell you, Rugoochi is a constant bloomer in my garden....

This one is Hakuree

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Thank you all for your tips. I will look again at Brushwood,G.C. and Silver Star and see if I can figure out the exact one that I saw.

I did not see it there first time around and I am thinking maybe the one I saw might be a special import from Poland or Romania or one of those places...

Maybe my best approach would be to snip off a cutting and try to root it.

I thought it was especially interesting because it was under a tree in shade yet it was on stems and they were standing straight up and not flopping...and they were fairly large rather unique 'bell' shaped blossoms...

Will keep looking and thanks for all the tips. t.

Here's the link to Hull Clematis and the Kivistik (of Estonia) clem's:
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemnamedetail.cfm?dbkey=4

I hope you find the one you liked so much.

Good luck with the rooting of the clematis. That method has never worked for me.

Thank you for all the good links. I've spent an hour perusing them and now have a very long wish list!

I do believe I will try A few cuttings just to see if I can make it work...last year I bought a bubbler set up that I read about on the propagation forum...they seemed to have pretty Good success w/clematis...will let you know. T.

I recall the bubbler system. I'll be looking forward to seeing photos of your cutting successes.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Hi Teresa, I guess we are in the same boat as I've been out of the gardening game about 4 years now. I just received an order or 6 clematis from Debbie at Silver Star. They looked great. Just before I saw your thread here, I put in another order for two integrifolia, Fascination. I do have two other integrifolia that survived the years of neglect. Those two are rather short; 2 to 3 feet and they do ramble. Fascination indicates 4 to 5 feet so I was wondering if I should provide some support. I will be pairing them with 3 of the Sunny Knockout Roses, but they only get to be 3 feet themselves. So, I've got my thinking cap on.

I've also had nice plants from Brushwood in years past and they are my " go to" clematis nursery if Debbie didn't have what I wanted. My recollection is that the larger root ball came from Silver Star, but Brushwood certainly had nice plants. I'm pretty sure the two integrifolia I have established came from Brushwood and, if I recall, they were the only two that were offered at the time. The white one is called Integrifolia Alba and the blue is just called Clematis Integrifolia. I don't know if that means it is a species or maybe they just never had the name.

If I recall, I treated the integrifolia the same as their vining cousins. Plant root ball about two inched below ground level and I was planting at a 45 degree angle. Most clematis will do nicely in your time zone, but I need to push the zone for some of mine. I've successfully grown zone 5 plants here by planting them near a sidewalk or driveway where they can receive ambient heat during the winter. A big rock will do the same.

I've rambled on enough here. Good luck. We'll have to compare aches and pains later on. I'm not use to all this work again.

Glad to know you're back to gardening, beaker.

Both Silver Star Vinery and Brushwood send excellent plants as does Klehm's, Garden Crossings, and Joy Creek. I'm sure there are other good suppliers that are around. Always check shipping charges before ordering.

Athens, PA

Beaker

I have Fascination and mine only gets about 2-3ft in size. Perhaps you may get some size to yours as I admit I do neglect mine although the integrifolias really do not need much care.

The integrifolias will all die back to the ground in the last Fall, whereas the other clematis don't do this.

This message was edited May 20, 2012 10:07 AM

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.