CLOSED: 2nd annual DG Mug Swap

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

It's THAT time again!!!

Every morning I drag myself to the kitchen cupboard to get a mug to fill with a special brown elixir (coffee, milk, no sugar), and I select a mug based on how I feel or how I WANT to feel.

For instance, I have a mug that says "No, I'm not a morning person - why do you ask?" I use this mug sparingly as it tends to send a message . . .. The mug with smiley faced hearts is always a winner, but there are days when nothing on my mug shelf catches my eye, or fits my mood. Does this describe YOU? If so, please join me as I host the Second Annual DG Mug Swap.

Like other group trades, you will receive a Dmail from me with the identity of your secret mug trading partner. I recommend not revealing your superman/woman identity until the swapping is complete. On this thread you can share your likes and dislikes so your partner might better get to know YOUR special elixir preferences, favorite color, caffeine or not, flavored or not, etc.

This is only a mug trade, but you are free to include items that might accompany a morning cup of ____________.

Kindly send me a dmail to confirm that you're "IN" with full name, email, address, and phone number. This will help folks give and get when it's time to swap.

Belly up to the bar, folks. Let the swapping begin. :D

Image courtesy Yanko Design:
http://store.yankodesign.com/mood-mugs

This message was edited May 26, 2012 12:29 PM

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

EDITED JUNE 1 TO SAY:

WE ARE CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS

Reserved for Participants:

* AmandaEsq (Amanda) drip coffee maker, I have a french press (!) a mill grinder (!) a Krups grinder (!) yeah . . . we like coffee. I like some flavored coffees and a good deep rich, but not too strong cuppa. We have discussed above some of the alcoholic beverages that have found their way into our cuppa! I like bright and happy colors, faces, flowers, critters, bugs. And chocolate. :D

* Mud_Elf (Kris) She and Ralph drink coffee. She likes fairies and sillies and oversized mugs best.

* Fruit of the Vine (Susan): ". . . [h]igh test. Grounds, a daily grind of beans, K-cups . . . fat-free Hazelnut creamer . . .."

* Careyana (Carey) "The sillier the bettter . . .."

* Joeswife (Debra)

* irisluvr0252 (Debbie) "Had a blast last year . . . need[s] a new mug!!!" :D

* rvnsbrk (Juanita/Neener) Drinks Kcups but don't need to send any. Mug - likes snarky or funny. :)

* Chickory31 (Kerrie) also likes oversized mugs - no color preference - words are okay - sarcasm is good. Also drinks tea.

* Crit (Patti) "needs a new mug!!!"

* Taters55 (Linda Kay) No strong coffees please; likes assorted hot chocolates and teas

* susanl61520 (Newbie/Crazy Susan) Drinks Folgers Black Silk with sugar and sometimes flavored creamers but NOT hazelnut. Likes mugs that are not tapered. She has started collecting mugs from around the country.

* LhasaLover (Tammie) Drinks tea, flavored coffee like vanilla nut, instant hot drinks. Likes "Pretty" and oversized mugs work best

*JSXTIGER (Joyce)

This message was edited Jun 1, 2012 8:31 AM

ME FIRST.!!!!!! LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

You're it!!! Welcome girlie. Glad to have you.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm in! Carole was my buddy last year and sent such a great surprise box and it's still a toss up either reaching for her mug or the one Erin gave me for my birthday this year. Hubby and I drink high test. Grounds, a daily grind of beans, or K-cups all work. Black for him, fat-free Hazelnut creamer for me.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Girlie! :)

I hoped you would find your way here. The mug from Erin must have been something! ;)

(Carey) Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Coffee? Is there any question I need more mugs? The sillier the better! COUNT ME IN!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

gosh, i think I might want to do this, but I might be challenged by the trip I am taking... okay, I will try to mail out maybe from florida? I am in...

Debra, if there is one thing you will find along the way, it will be crazy mugs! The deep South is loaded with them. :)

Y'all are leaving soon, aren't you? When do you plan to swing through TX?

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

we aren't doing texas until later this fall, cuz we only have time for one trip at a time. I need to let my texans know this. I will let ya all know when the texas trip will be well in advance. Both my sister and I have to be at work on June 2nd, so we only have a week. we had florida planned before texas, and was going to take florida route thru texas and over, but not enough time.

Well, you just let us all know when you're on your way! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Whooooeeeyyy! What a great trip - Debra - don't let the mail/ship date fool ya. Last year there was a postal strike in Canada and Bettypause actually ended up trading in person I think in August or September. Omigosh. Then we had an in-person trade in Maine well in advance of the post date.

At that point you can contact your secret swap partner so they don't feel left out. Please say you're in! :D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmmm . . . now there's a thought. What if Debra just HAPPENED to find a mug swap partner in Florida or in a state along the way . . ... :D

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I'm IN! Had a blast last year.....need a new mug!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm In... Any mug that is snarky or funny. You know me.. We do K cups here, so I don't expect anyone to send me a box of them. Just a mug is good!

LK was my buddy last year and we use her mugs every day!!

I would love any cup sent, just plain old coffee is good as Ralphie will be drinking it. Would love over size mugs to use for my nightly cup of milk....

Love silly or fairy or...hummm..just love them all...heehee

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I want in!
I'm actually a oversized coffee cup sort of person no color preferences as they usually end up in the greenhouse and everything matches out there, They can say stuff too. Sarcastic is good. If I trade with a tea drinker let me know, I love that also.

Too bad I gave away the two matching cups that said "Brain Damaged" and had realistic looking people looking a bit confused, holding their heads. When they were filled with a hot beverage, the words changed to "Dain Bramaged" and the people became stick figures 0:)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh my - did your hubby not like drinking out of them? :D

Those shoulda been keepers!!!

Fruity, those mugs sound fantastic! I'd love to find something like that!

At the time, we were living in our 5th wheel, traveling with hubby's job, and never used the mugs except once when I filled them with hot water to watch them 'change'...lol Storage space in any camper is premo and ours was maxed out for breakables. Anyway, don't tell my SIL I gave them away, but the couple who have them still tell me how they laugh and look forward to using them occasionally with a hot cup of Java.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

We've got a bunch of smart-alecks. My kind of crowd. I am so pleased to have found my niche here on DG. :D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

My lips are sealed. :D

LOL

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I wanna new mug! Count me in, please.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Only Amanda could get me to come out of Swap retirement for this. She's heard about my collection. :0)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Why, I think everyone will agree that it wouldn't be as much fun without you Neener. You've been a faithful DG pal and trader. Everyone needs a little less responsibility sometimes. :)

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Add my name too please? No strong coffee's please, but I love assorted hot chocolates and tea's.

This message was edited May 15, 2012 7:06 AM

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes ma'am - glad to see you here! :D

Canton, IL(Zone 5a)

I would like to do this swap as my very first one here! I just joined DG tonight and really should be sleeping but here I sit... LOL

My elixir of choice is Folgers Black Silk made strong with some sugar and either plain creamer or whatever whimsical flavor I was in the mood for in the store (NO hazelnut tho!). I like a mug that isn't tapered cuz my coffee ends up cold before I get to the bottom! I have been attempting to collect mugs from around the country- something my mother used to do and gave up on when she had hundreds of mugs (but some I LOVED!! Like the one with the little frog on bottom looking up at you thru ur half drank coffee...)

I am newbie ehre, yes.
I typo alot, yes lol
I am zany and fun, but have a serious side (tho it often gets laughed at by my zany side)
My favorite color is purple and my favorite flower is Iris (all varieties!)

I have participated in swaps and round robins in other groups before and had a good time with it, so I am looking forwartd to doing this one too!

Ok, y'all can stop laughing now... *steps down off her soapbox*

*steps back up*

Get used to the soapbox, guys... I talk ALOT

*steps back down*

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh Susan you are going to fit right in here. Welcome!!!

Canton, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks rvnsbrk! Maybe I have finally found a group of ppl who not only tolerate my eccentricities but can even appreciate them! Wouldn't that be wonderful...

Even my son has a habit of replying "tl;dr" to my posts and emails. Translation of this is "too long; didn't read". U think he's telling me something? Oh well, doesn't matter... I just keep on typing away (cuz its an easy way to talk without having to worry about running out of breath- as long as my fingers don't hurt, I'm all good!)

So, this swap is one for one with one person, correct? Just making sure, because others I have been in have ranged from one person receiving many things from all participants, or one person sends something to a member, that member sends something to the next member and then it goes on thru the list that way until the last member sends the first member something cool. Then, of course there is the swaps where several small groups exchange things within that group. I'm just trying to get a feel for what terminology is used her for which type of exchange.

*looks around for my soapbox*

Eh screw it, I'm done blabbering anyway... later y'all!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey, Susan! Sounds like you'll find plenty of weirdos to hang with on DG. Amazing that you found us so quickly! But I myself was a newbie just last march finally paid my subscription to join after years of using DG as a source for plant information.

I joined my first swap - the houseplant/tropical swap which just closed to new participants - but I was overwhelmed with the kindnesses of fellow members. Soon enough I fell in with the people who tolerated and embraced my own eccentricities (if THAT's what you call them) and felt comfy enough to start a swap of my own near and dear to my heart - the mug swap!

Another Susan (Fruit of the Vine) was my swap guru (how do you, why, what, where, when, help?!) and it was so much fun I couldn't wait to do it again this year!

For everyone's information - I am using the "No I'm not a morning person . . .." mug this morning, and it was given to me by Neener last swap! Am I trying to send a message? Pity - no one here that can read the dang thing so the meaning is lost on all but me.

Raining here - have dogs to walk, dishes to clean, fuzzy hair to paste to my head somehow. Mondays are the worst - even worse at home than they were when I was working, perhaps. . . . nah, now that I think about it probably not, but we do a lot of living out of this house over the weekend and I can't be bothered with Mr. Clean until Monday morning.

Susan (UH OH - how will we distinguish the Susan(s) on our list).

Newbie Susan: I LOVE Folgers Black Silk. I was really taken aback when I brought that home the first time. Of course, the stuff ain't cheap - none of it is - so I happily accept whatever Court brings home. When I do the shopping, there are some flavored coffees I like, but I usually just drink mine with milk. No fancy creamers.

Okay I have to get up for another cup of coffee and shut this thing down. Welcome welcome welcome Newbie Susan and thank you so much for joining the mug swap. :)

Sending wishes for a groovy day to all!
xox
A.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Uh, and to answer your question - this is a swap where each participant will swap with one other participant. Swap partners selected at random by your host and monitored by the auditing firm Dewey Cheatem & Howe.

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

LOL
Susan I have one of those mugs with the frog in the bottom. So funny to give to the unexpecting Mwhaaa haha

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Court's mom has a cute set of dishes with birds and flowers on them - I always say, "hey mom, there's a bug your plate." Lame. I want a bug mug.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Oh how I miss the banter.. :0)

I am going to use my time in San Francisco wisely. Of course, Austin definitely has a funky vibe all its own too!

Oh boy oh boy. I'm going to find a dandy mug for someone!

And Susan, you fell in with the right crowd. Folger's Black Silk? I AM intrigued! I got so tired of Folger's coffee at my old office place. I swear we got the stuff rejected from normal sale it was so bad. Since I used to love it years ago, I'm going to have to hunt this stuff down and give it a try.

Canton, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow what warm welcomes coming from you all! Thanks so much for making me feel right at home!! The easy way to differentiate me from the other Susan in the group is to just add my last initial (it is part of my username, even) SusanL works for me :)

But then again, so does "Newbie Susan".... just as long as it is NEVER "Noob Susan"!!

The froggie mug was one of my favorites of my mom's, but she also had some other really cool ones... one was a coffee cup that was cut in half vertically and said "you asked for a half a cup of coffee" lol! She has two that were "boobie" mugs. One was a full torso from mid thigh to armpits... total nude- front and back (female of course) and the other was just the chest region, but when you tipped the mug the boobies moved too cuz they were on a wire swivel :)! I miss my mom's whimsical mugs...

Banter? Yea, I'm full of that (not to mention a few other things)...

I wish I could go to San Francisco... I would love it. I used to live in San Diego (for all of 3 months lol) but it was amazing! Vegas is awesome, and Colorado Springs is cool (as in cold lol). I lived in the Tulsa area for a good portion of my life, so it's like a second home to me there...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway...

I am glad I know my way around a computer and knew how to find y'all as fast as i did :)

careyana, I'll send you a small can of Black Silk if you can't find it... the stuff is AMAZING

Dewey Cheatem & Howe...LOL!

Welcome Susan, from another Susan. Just call me Fruity or some form of the word people have made up (HA! not saying who) or call me plain-old FOTV.

Carey, know that one well from my office days, The stuff came in individual brewing packs, resembling fine bark and tasted about the same. IMHO...lol
Folgers Black Silk is very good for those of you who like a rich dark robust cuppa, like I do. Didn't go anywhere today but must have wanted to still I used my well-traveled Travel mug...some of you know it well :)

Speaking of dishes, I used to make homemade pizza a lot and have a set of pizza plates with different kinds of ingredients decaled on that you would traditionally include in one. Years ago in the dead of Winter, one of hubby's fishing buddies stopped by to thaw out after being on the lake all day in his John boat in the ice and snow. Had just taken hot pizza out of the oven and that boy scarfed down half of it and tried to eat the pepperoni decaled on the plate!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.