What's looking good this early May?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Some are new favorites this year, while others are oldies that just look good. Please share your own =)

Allegan Fog
Clovelly
El Nino
First Frost
Francee

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Ginsu Knife
Inniswood
Journey's End
June
Komodo Dragon

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Krossa Regal
montana Aureomarginata
Paradise Island
Pilgrim
Pineapple Poll

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Prairie Moon
Rainbow's End
Regal Splendor
Restless Sea
Sagae (with Wolverine in the background)

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Sleeping Beauty
Teaspoon
Tick Tock
Wolverine
Yellow Boa

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Cat and Mouse
Charlotte's Web
Georgia Sweetheart

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Now I remeber one of the ones that I wanted to get this spring...Prairie Moon! Looks like a nice, bright hosta!

Rose

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Rose - nice 'Cat and Mouse'. Mine has been at two eyes for years and one of those eyes has reverted to blue. How large will 'Charlotte's Web' get? I picked one up last autumn, but it's still pretty tiny and not yet leafed out.

This message was edited May 11, 2012 6:41 AM

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Charlotte's Web supposed to be small, so I'm assuming under 12". It really has some nice streaking this year.

Country Mouse
Gunther's Prize
Kaleidochrome
Hyuga Urajiro (odd looking plant, but very pretty leaf!)

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, Canada

Rose 1656, wish my 'Country Mouse' was that size. Would love GP and K. My HU hasn't increased significantly. Looks like this year is the year for my hostas to make a leap. I was going to divide the 3 'Wolverine' this year but I guess it will have to wait till next year now.

This message was edited May 22, 2012 9:13 PM

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

This is 'Montana Aureomarginata' in the same hosta bed

Thumbnail by irawon
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Rose, the color on Georgia Sweetheart reminds me of Orange Marmalade in the spring.

Irawon, your Wolverine look beautiful! I can't wait for mine to grow =)

Davenport, IA

Rose1656, Gunthers Prize is gorgeous!! Even my husband said we need to get one. Beautiful!

Ottawa, Canada

Well it's late May now and 'Golden Meadows' is still unfurling. It really looks robust in its third year. I applied compost around all of my hostas last fall.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Luna Moth' was very slug resistant last summer. Am hoping for a repeat performance this year.

This message was edited May 23, 2012 11:50 AM

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

ViolaAnn commented last summer that she thought 'Great Arrival' would be a faster grower than 'Great Expectations'. She was right.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

I haven't ever seen this one posted on DG: 'Gentle Spirit'. It's growing on me. I like the shine.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

'Queen Josephine'. I like the shiny ones. This one was also pest free last summer. Does anyone else have it?

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

OK. I'm going to try posting 3 at once again. I hope I succeed.
1) Teatime
2) Ogon Tachi: it DID arrive yellow this spring.
3) Blue Ivory

Nope, it didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

This message was edited May 23, 2012 11:44 AM

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

Someone on DG said 'Ogon Tachi' wouldn't be yellow in spring.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

My 'Blue Ivory' looks so much better since I removed the plant that was crowding her. Thanks for looking. Better get out in the garden and get some work done.

Thumbnail by irawon
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I have Queen Josephine. Mine is finally recovering from being demolished by the rabbits in 2010. I planted her, and the next day she had exactly 2 eyes and leaves left. Stupid rodents!!! ...And evidently I haven't yet taken a pic of her fully unfurled this year. Oops. I'll be back with one tonight or tomorrow =)

I do love that Luna Moth of yours! But I passed on it this spring in favor of Radiant Star. I think I have the perfect spot for it to finish a front bed. I'm completely redoing two sides of the bed this year in hostas. No more ugly evergreens. So exciting!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Love the Blue Ivory, I just moved mine so hopefully it will perk up a bit. :)

1-Great Expectations
2-Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
3-Sea Thunder
4-Paradise Island
5-September Sun

This message was edited May 24, 2012 10:37 AM

This message was edited May 25, 2012 6:50 AM

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Ottawa, Canada

Virginiarose I have all of those except for 'Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' and 'Sea Thunder'. They're beautiful. For some reason I thought YPDB was a mini.

Here's the 'Deja Blu' I planted early last summer. It has increased nicely.

Thumbnail by irawon
Ottawa, Canada

I can't get over how shiny 'Lakeside Looking Glass is.

Thumbnail by irawon
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I love the shiny ones- I think they add a lot to the garden.

Here is Little Treasure in front of Thunderbolt- a study in contrasts!

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My one and only Moonstruck is looking good, I don't know if it will get larger or it is a small hosta.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from irawon :
Virginiarose I have all of those except for 'Yellow Polka Dot Bikini' and 'Sea Thunder'. They're beautiful. For some reason I thought YPDB was a mini.

Here's the 'Deja Blu' I planted early last summer. It has increased nicely.

irawon, 'Tiny Winy Bikini' is the mini, I got that one also!

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Quote from Noreaster :
I love the shiny ones- I think they add a lot to the garden.

Here is Little Treasure in front of Thunderbolt- a study in contrasts!

That is beautiful contrast Noreaster, love the pair together. I have had that Little Treasure on my list for a long time and had not made up my mind till now, I am definitely getting it. Just so happens I just bought Thunderbolt from Hornbakers.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

kiseta - good that your 'Moonstruck' is in a pot. I've found this one very fussy to grow. Too much sun and the leaves will melt out. It can do with some morning sun, but keep it out of afternoon sun. It won't get large, but it WILL grow. I took five divisions from mine last year and still have a decent plant. But I thought I'd try growing it in a different location to see if it does better. Gave the rest to a plant sale. When it's doing well, it's gorgeous. Good luck with it.

virginiarose - 'Tiny Winy Bikini' should be spelled 'Teeny-weeny Bikini' and it's the smallest hosta I have. Very tiny indeed.

Irene- that's a good looking LLG. I don't have it. Had one once, but it rapidly went downhill and when I sent it back to the nursery from where it came, it tested positive for HVX and the symptoms looked so different I hadn't suspected it. The first pic shows what it looked like the first year I had it before it started looking sick.

Second pic shows what it looked like when I sent it back.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, Canada

ViolaAnn I'm keeping my fingers crossed on 'Lakeside Looking Glass'. The smallest hosta I have is 'Cat's Eye'.

Noreaster, that's an amazing contrast between 'Thunderbolt' and 'Little Treasure'. Does LT overwinter in that hypertuffa (sp?) pot.

Is anyone interested in having a thread started on shiny hostas?

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I had a feeling I was spelling it wrong. :( Too lazy to look it up, or too tired one. :>/

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Sure - about shiny hostas, but I don't have many.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

My favorite, Sagae.

Doug

ps: the beer bottle is for size reference only, I don't condone the use of alcohol while gardening........

Thumbnail by postmandug
Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

That is beautiful Doug, I gotta write this down, 'No drinking and gardening!' :)

Some more Favorites:

1-Komodo Dragon
2-Paul's Glory
3-Brother Stefan
4-Tom Schmid
5-Dream Queen

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Go for it Irawon. I have a few shiny ones.

These two are looking good today- Flemish Sky and Guardian Angel

and El Nino

Thumbnail by Noreaster Thumbnail by Noreaster
Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's some "pretties" on my hillside...

Rascal
Saint Elmo's Fire
Smooth Sailing
Solar Flare
Stargate

Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656 Thumbnail by Rose1656
Ottawa, Canada

Those are awsome hostas, I saw Saint Elmo's Fire at local big box store really cheap today. I resisted when they coudn't tell me who their supplier was.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

Saint Elmo's Fire hasn't been a big grower for me, but I do like the colors.

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Two more good growers,

1-GLORY HALLELUJAH
2-GRAND TIARA

Thumbnail by virginiarose Thumbnail by virginiarose

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.